Author Topic: Dating a tintype - late Victorian era James Thomas and Jane Cairns  (Read 828 times)

Offline lewistronzo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dating a tintype - late Victorian era James Thomas and Jane Cairns
« on: Wednesday 13 September 17 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi there!  First time posting so let me know if I do something incorrectly and I can fix it! 
I've attached a photo of my great, great grandparents who were born in 1858 and 1860.  The photo is printed on a metallic sheet, which I assume is a tintype.  I did wonder if this was a photo from their marriage in 1881, age 22 and 20 - but I'm not sure the faces fit their ages in that year, they seem a bit older. 
They're English born, lived and died and this was most likely taken in Northern England as they didn't seem to travel very far according to censuses. 

Thanks!

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Dating a tintype - late Victorian era James Thomas and Jane Cairns
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 September 17 04:59 BST (UK) »
Hi lewistronzo, welcome to Rootschat.
I'm NOT one of the dating experts, but judging from the lady's wardrobe I'd guess it to be a decade later, say 1891-1895. Others will probably be along to confirm or deny my estimate.
If you'd like the picture enhanced as well, it would be better if you scanned it at a higher resolution. You're allowed to post a file of up to 500kb on here and yours is only 27kb. If you do, just give it a different name or it won't go through.
Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 September 17 11:03 BST (UK) »
Just a little bit later than Peter's date, around 1896-99. The gigot sleeve style she has is a later variety towards the end of the fashion.
Tintypes from this decade indicates it was taken in a photo booth which were popular on sea fronts etc.
The problem with this is that it would make her late 30's & she looks a lot younger to me. Could it be a daughter?
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline lewistronzo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 September 17 00:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the responses! 
I'll try scanning it again this weekend, the problem is that it's been bent over the decades and it's difficult to get a clear scan as I think the light shines off it in all kinds of angles, but will give it another go. 

If my research is correct, the first daughter born was in 1890 - my great grandmother - so both the age and the face don't fit, as I have many photos of her. 
You're right she does look young, her gravestone works out at her being born in 1865 actually, which would make her around 20-25 in that photo if your date is correct, and only 16 when married, but censuses have her being 5 years older - I'm not sure which is correct. 
As for it being near the sea front, they actually lived around 10 miles from the sea at that point so it's very possible!
Thanks again for your replies, it's been very helpful!