Author Topic: Recognising family, I think the one in the top right hand corner is Henrietta  (Read 741 times)

Offline chrisdyer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Recognising family, I think the one in the top right hand corner is Henrietta
« on: Wednesday 13 September 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
The photo one is from a book of small photos with no names, I think the one in the top right hand corner is Henrietta.  Do you think the other ones are from her family or do you think any are of her at different ages. Born 1885 in Salford.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Recognising family, I think the one in the top right hand corner is Henrietta
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 September 17 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hello again, Chris. Your request has slipped down the board following a flood of posts, so I’ll have a (rough) go. (I’m no expert.)

Firstly, I think all photos were taken during the same (Edwardian) period.

The last three photos on the top row look as though they were taken same place, same time. I think the only two resembling each other very closely (out of all the pictures on both rows) are the last two on that top row. Probably mother and daughter, I think. In fact (although it’s difficult to say with the damage to the photos) Henrietta may even be wearing her mother’s hat. The next one back left - taken same time, same place - could possibly be an older sister to Henrietta. Although her overall face shape, ears (lobes in particular) and nose all differ from Henrietta and the “mother” there is some similarity with the eyes, eyebrows and mouth.

With all the other people’s photos I don’t think there are enough close similarities  to say whether or not they could be related either to the ones mentioned above or to one another. They may be, but I don’t think there is anything that grabs you and says, “hey, I’m her sister/brother”.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline chrisdyer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Recognising family, I think the one in the top right hand corner is Henrietta
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 September 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that.  She had two sisters & two brothers. One sister was 9 years older than her.
The boy at the bottom right is on 3 pages(same photo) of the book & there only 5 pages. Do you think it's the same boy on the left of the photo you tidied up for me the other day?
Shame no one put any names to them.  I don't know if the book was started by my Grandfather or Grandmother or maybe someone else.  Other than the book I only have about 6 photos of my mother's side of the family.
I don't think it's the same hat. Some hat isn't i!

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 September 17 13:15 BST (UK) »
So the “mother” could possibly be the 9-years-older older sister, perhaps.

Not enough to be definitive but I see resemblances between 1 & 2 and between 3 & 4 in the image below. Photos 1 & 3 were probably taken at the same time as each other so the only thing that worries me is the apparent age of 1. The age difference between 1 & 3 looks more than the age difference between 2 & 4. But it is hard to tell on screen. Perhaps in your photo 1 looks younger than he does to me. So, summarising, I think it’s not impossible that the same two brothers are shown in your three photos.

It’s not easy, Chris. My wife has 3 sisters, and looking at the four as young kids it’s sometimes impossible to tell who’s who. Their features seem to change subtly from picture to picture.

Other, more experienced, people on here may be able to offer you straighter answers than I can.

And, yes, women have certainly gone through some extremes in the name of fashion!

Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline chrisdyer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 September 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
I thought 3 & 4 were the same, my Grandfather & 1 does look old in the one I sent but in the original it looks more like he is standing up to look older. He is on 2 different pages.
It is difficult, never checked backgrounds before, but now looking at that I can see that they are different people taken at the same time.
Thank you Peter.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 September 17 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

I have just cropped the blank white space from your image.

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 September 17 15:40 BST (UK) »
I think Peter has it about right. A couple of these hats can date this to around 1907-10 as they were short lived creations. The 3 women centre & right on page 2 look to be in the same studio possibly at the same time & I would suggest the girl was also & she may be part of a larger picture which includes on of the above women.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline chrisdyer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

I have just cropped the blank white space from your image.

Sarah
Thank you Sarah