Author Topic: Funeral in 1901 Northumberland - how fast would the hearse travel?  (Read 4750 times)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Funeral in 1901 Northumberland - how fast would the hearse travel?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 14 September 17 11:36 BST (UK) »
I wondered if they were decidedly unreligeous,  also to my mind there is a clear distinction between cemetery and graveyard.

Are the Cemetary records perhaps harvested from the onsite chapel, it is possible to have a burial with no religious service at all

Mike

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 14 September 17 11:39 BST (UK) »
What a fascinating thread this is.  Sorry I can't offer any advice but am following it with great interest.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 September 17 11:43 BST (UK) »

The notice is worded rather strangely to my thinking. Why no mention of the actual funeral service? Don't notices often say "Funeral at St xxxxxx church followed by burial in the churchyard" or something similar.

I've looked at newspaper announcements at that time and they almost all say "interment at xxxx cemetery" A few say "funeral service at xxxx"

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 14 September 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
Under the Burial Laws Amendment Act 1880 (c.41) a burial  in a churchyard or graveyard may be with or without religious service. In a municipal cemetery there would be consecrated and unconsecrated sections.
Stan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 14 September 17 14:09 BST (UK) »
Just to add to what Stan has said ~

One of my main lines were Methodists and many of the announcements were of the form of interment at xxx cemetery with no mention of a church or chapel.  Some said ...A short service/prayers will be held at the house conducted by..... 

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 15 September 17 07:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for continued interest!

I don't have the death certificate but have her probate already which says she died at Whitley Dairy Farm. From an old photo of Whitley it seems to have been a white building on Park Avenue until replaced by the Post Office in 1925.

Louisa Maud - thought you had a good idea, I think that "St Nicholas" is a red herring! The whole newspaper announcement seems as though its wrongly worded and/or words missed out! Whoever wrote it down at the newspaper wasn't very experienced!!!

There were 64 churches  about 10 miles from Isabella's home! I can eliminate most of the churches built after 1901 and those without churchyards but that will probably mean quite a few still to check. I have the National Burial Index V3 on disc but no use for any SHIELLS in my family:-( 

There weren't so many cemeteries (civil) and those have been already checked. I did Preston yesterday.....

I'm not going to let this one beat me, surely they didn't shovel the poor lady under the dairy floor to save cash!!!

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 15 September 17 07:52 BST (UK) »
St Paul's Church with grave area was literally round the corner from where the dairy once was.  However, since the burial was two and a half hours after leaving the house it is unlikely to have been there.

I can only think she was removed a distance somewhere so she could be buried with a family member perhaps her husband.

I wonder if any of her children may have been buried in the same place?  Do you have dates of death of her children?  Perhaps if death notices could be looked up for children this may reveal more.  I would be willing to help look up any children's death notices when I get time over the next few weeks. 

I have a family in my family history where five of them went into the same grave.

Bravo to you Gen, for your tenacity in refusing to be beaten by this most perplexing burial. :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 15 September 17 07:53 BST (UK) »
Perhaps check if their children were baptised and in what church, or their  marriage, it just might be a clue, what about variations on the surname

Happy Hunting

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 15 September 17 10:34 BST (UK) »
I've been doing targeted searches for baptisms and burials for a while now. This family only seemed to appear on parish records for the odd C of E marriage. This indicates they could be non-Conformists. This would narrow the search greatly you would think. Or not!

(I have Scottish relations in Aberdeen who belonged to a tiny breakaway sect from the C of S, they left no records at all!)

I can find no burials or baptisms for Isabella and her husband Andrews family or his parents and siblings. Even using the wildest of wild cards!

Just to add some even more confusion, a family called SHELL were working on the SHIELLS farm at Black Callerton around 1852, I've followed them back but they seem to hail from around Alnwick not Berwickshire where Andrews parents were from. They didnt stay long at Black Callerton Farm, they were ag labs and moved every census. More SHELLS at Bamburgh and were baptising at Warrenford. I suspect this is just a coincidence of names.

Between this and watching SkyNews unfold the latest terror incident, I think I'll go walk the dog on the beach!

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE