Author Topic: A parson's career  (Read 1760 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A parson's career
« on: Wednesday 13 September 17 18:20 BST (UK) »
Revd. Alexander Crigan was born in Liverpool in 1780 and became rector or vicar of parishes in north Yorkshire from c1821 until his death in 1863.  In his earlier life he had been a licensed apothecary in Dublin (1798), a medical student at Edinburgh (MD 1803), and a 'hospital mate' at the Royal Naval Hospital at Paignton c1808.  His first curacy I have found was at Reading (St Giles, 1816).  His last parish was Skipwith (1849-63).
I have not traced any record of attendance at Oxford or Cambridge and can only suppose that the influence of his father (Bishop of Sodor & Man) may have helped him into his second profession.
Is there anyone who can throw any light on this kind of career?
I should add that he seems to have been absent from his parish at both the 1851 and 1861 censuses in the days when curates were more available!

Ainslie

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A parson's career
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
Was he also of "Escrick"

Google "Alexander Crigan Escrick" and check google books "Reports of cases decided in the High Court of Chancery".

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 22:02 BST (UK) »
The clergy database doesn't have a great deal -

http://db.theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/search/index.jsp

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 22:10 BST (UK) »
I watched an old episode of a FH research program this last week about someone who had a similar section of careers and in the same era and the question in that case was asked " when and where did he qualify as a doctor, where did he get his medial degree" and even though they had searched their conclusion was 'no where' he didn't have any and he just added 'MD' to his name to get into the military and for the very senior position he got....... if it was possible to get away with being a doctor without any qualifications then the same answer could be for your man he may never had a theology training
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 22:14 BST (UK) »

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 22:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your help and for interesting background material.  I have another case of a clergyman who seems not to have been through what would now be normal processes of education and ordination, and this may well apply here, too.
A

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 September 17 01:04 BST (UK) »
I think we all base our experience on now and what is required in education/ qualifications to do a particular job and can't imagine going to see a solicitor who has no law degree or a doctor with no medical training. I suppose it was a different era, different standards.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 September 17 18:45 BST (UK) »
Agreed, thanks for your interest.
A

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 September 17 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Ainslee,
I found him on the 1851 and 1861 censuses, and also there is an old newspaper article of some land exchange deal he was making (in Feb 1851). Do you need the info from them, or are you focused just on the career duties?