Author Topic: A parson's career  (Read 1739 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A parson's career
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 September 17 10:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks, but I had those references.  My main interest is Crigan's change from a medical to a clerical career, and what (if any) extra degree he might have needed.
I shall have to concentrate on those years between 1808 when he was a naval medic and 1818 when he was a curate.
A

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 September 17 11:03 BST (UK) »
I looked at some really old newspapers, and several also referred to his father as a doctor as well as reverend.
Good luck in your endeavour!

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 September 17 12:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  His father was bishop of Sodor & Man, so probably DD rather than MD.
A

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 September 17 19:00 BST (UK) »
Some articles say "Doctor Rev. Claudius Crigan", others say "Right Reverend Dr. ..", so maybe the reporters were assuming a MD.

There is an Alexander Crigan, surgeon, ship Shannon, from around 1806 to around 1812 (would have to double check) that was taken prisoner in the Napoleonic Wars.

Also, in 1797, George Crigan, son of Claudius Crigan the Bishop, was a surgeon in the 46th reg. of foot, who died in a duel. Lots of articles on that one if you need, as perhaps he had the same education as Alexander.

According to a book at Google books on some occasions, instead of attending universities such as Edinburgh, Glasgow, or Aberdeen, one could just pay a fee at the time of the Napoleonic wars  :o  Social standing had a lot to do with it.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 September 17 21:18 BST (UK) »
Well, stubborn searching has paid off!!  ;D ;D ;D  (although it doesn't say which university  ::) )

The Scots Magazine (Edinburgh, Scotland), Thursday, September 01, 1803
(printed over two columns, snippets from each column below)

The following gentlemen have had the degree of M.D. conferred upon them this feffion of the University:
Of Scotland.
(list of names, followed by latin)
Last on the list for Scotland is:

Alexander Crigan, De Nauseosi, et mode ejus administrationis in Phthisis curanda.

Snippets:

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 September 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the two extra bits.  I have started another thread about the frigate 'Shannon' and Crigan's imprisonment, in the Armed Forces section. 
As to the medical degree, Google produced another reference, via a Glasgow publication, showing the degree was from Edinburgh.

Ainslie