Author Topic: James Hyde c.1874  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Griff55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Hyde c.1874
« on: Wednesday 13 September 17 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm very new to family research but think my question is best suited to the immigration area.

In 1903 James Charles Hyde (born approx 1874 according to various census records but frustratingly I have not found the exact birth) married Sarah Jane Birch in Kidderminster. They had a daughter Nellie in 1904. I have found a record of a James, Sarah and Mollie Hyde arriving in New York on 16 Nov 1905. I am reasonably sure this is the right family despite the daughter's name being slightly different. I know that Sarah and Nellie were back in Kidderminster in 1911 and Sarah seemed to be in a new relationship. I would like to find out what happened to James. On the manifest it states they will be staying with a Mrs Selina Hands(?), 291 East Main Street, Amsterdam, New York. James did have a sister called Selina but I have no record of her marriage or travel to America.

I am wondering whether the family split up in America and James remained. Is it possible to find out when Sarah and Nellie returned to England to see if James was with them? Could anyone give me any pointers on tracing James please?

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Hyde c.1874
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 18:39 BST (UK) »
This appears to be the Selina Hands mentioned.

1905 NY Census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MVB9-VLN

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 18:43 BST (UK) »
Is this a possibility?
Declaration of Intention, Naturalization Record
James Charles Hyde, occupation Machinist.
Dark complexion, 5' 8", 150 lbs, blkbrown hair, blue eyes
Emigrated from Liverpool, England on the Majestic, arriving 16 November 1905
Last foreign residence was Kidderminster, England
Circuit Court, Eastern District, Pennsylvania
Dated: 11 October 1909

Added: address - 628 Franklin Street
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 18:50 BST (UK) »
Think you got him Lisa  ;) There is a Selina and George Hands listed in the Amsterdam, New York, City Directory, 1917 - saloon - 246 W Main St - h

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra.  :)

The odd thing is there is another man with similar details
1910 Philadelphia Ward 13, Phildelphia, PA Census
James Hyde, "Partner", age 30, Single, born England as were parents.  Immigrated 1895  :-\
Machinist, Locomotive Works
He was living with Richard Puschel(?) and family.  Richard was age 35, born in Germany, immigrated 1903, Machinist, Locomotive Works.  Seven other Lodgers lived in this house.
629 Tenth Street
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 19:17 BST (UK) »
I missed one important detail from the declaration page
Address for Mr. Hyde was 628 Franklin Street

1910 Philadelphia City Directory
James Hyde, machst   h 628 N Franklin

Update:  1912 Directory has the same info as the 1910 Directory

Offline Griff55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 19:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much everyone! I've been looking at this for days and you've found this information in minutes! I shall hang my head in shame. Thank you for finding Selina, I can't understand why I can't find her marriage to George. It is useful to know she had children born in England though, another avenue to explore!

When I was looking initially I found another James C. Hyde
New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island)
Given Name James C.
Surname Hyde
Last Place of Residence Montreal
Event Date 02 Feb 1907
Age 29y
Nationality Canada, English
Departure Port Liverpool
Arrival Port New York
Gender Male
Marital Status M
Ship Name Lucania

I had initially wondered whether James had returned with the family and then travelled back but discounted this gentleman somewhat though on age and last place of residence. Perhaps this could be the other James?

At least I now know he seems to have stayed in America though.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 19:33 BST (UK) »
1900 Census Main Street Amsterdam Ward 4, Montgomery, New York

George A Hand   40 Born England. Immigrated 1891.
Albert W Hand   13 Born England. Dec 1886.
William Hand   11 Born England. Nov 1888.
Prey Hand   9 Born England. December 1890.
Lillen Hand   6 Born NY 1893

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 21:19 BST (UK) »
The passenger list says that Selina was his sister. 

There is an entry on the NY state death index for a Selma Hands who died 11 Oct. 1912 in Amsterdam, which I think might be her.  George was married, but Selina was not with him in 1910.  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M5HQ-KTX  He is still there with the same housekeeper in 1915 - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K9VJ-JHY

On www.fultonhistory.com, there are some Amsterdam newspapers with references to this family.  An article from 1908 mentions that Mrs. George Hands had been in St. Mary's hospital for 8 months.  There is also a mention of her and her daughter Lillian being injured in a car accident.  An article about George's death said that he had been mentally disturbed since his housekeeper had died and he died from gas from the oven.  An article about his estate said that everything was to go to his housekeeper, but since she was dead, the will gave everything to niece Sarah Hands of Birmingham, England.