Author Topic: Alexander Montgomery (Inverness-shire) - 42nd Foot Regiment (1817-1828)  (Read 926 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Alexander Montgomery (Inverness-shire) - 42nd Foot Regiment (1817-1828)
« on: Wednesday 13 September 17 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Hoping someone can give me any details at all please on...

discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8755091

Reference:   WO 97/580/103

Alexander Montgomery
Born Portree, Inverness-shire
Served in 42nd Foot Regiment
Discharged aged 32 (Hoping to find out the actual date or year)?
Date 1817-1828

I would like to be able to either connect or eliminate this man if at all possible...

I have a possible daughter Jane/Jessie Montgomery/Montgomerie b somewhere between 1821 & 1826..ish

From census'...

1851 (29) b Ireland (c1822)
1861 (35) b Dublin (c1826)
1871 (46) b Gibraltar (c1825)

Ireland looks favourite i.e. were 42nd Foot Regiment in Ireland around those dates?

Or, just incase, were they in Gibraltar around those dates?

On Jessie's marriage in 1860 Parents are Alexander Montgomery (Pensioner, Deceased) & Catherine MacLean (Deceased)...(Hoping a war pensioner)?

From another bit of info. it is thought the father of Alexander was Murdoch although not proven?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Montgomery (Inverness-shire) - 42nd Foot Regiment (1817-1828)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 September 17 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

It looks like he was admitted to the UK, Royal Hospital, Chelsea on the 16 APRIL 1828 aged 32

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 September 17 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

The 42nd Foot Regiment were also known as 42nd (Royal Highland) Regiment of Foot. Also known as the Black Watch. Link here gives details re the regiments postings: http://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armyunits/britishinfantry/42ndblackwatch.htm

Scroll down to 'Service 1825-52', where it begins by saying:

'The Regiment was in Ireland and Scotland up to the end of 1825 when they were posted to Gibraltar for 6 years.'

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 September 17 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

Regimental History here: https://archive.org/stream/historyof42ndroy00grovuoft/historyof42ndroy00grovuoft_djvu.txt

After the Battle of Waterloo the Regiment moved as follows:

It states:

'After spending several months in the vicinity of Paris, the Royal Highlanders embarked at Calais and landed in England on the eighth of December 1815.

In the spring of 1816, the regiment marched to Edinburgh, from whence it was moved to Glasgow. From 1817 to 1825 it was stationed in Ireland, and in the latter year went to Gibraltar, the depot companies returning to Scotland.'

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 September 17 01:02 BST (UK) »
Oooh...Thanks very much Claire & David,

This is very interesting indeed!

Alexander could potentially be the father of Janet/Jessie given the info. I have but if I could find a wife or anything about a child named Janet/Jessie that would more or less confirm it  ;)

Thanks for all the info. on where they were stationed as that does tie in strongly with what I have.

I wonder where Jessie would have been born in Dublin as regards to being a Military child if it is indeed her as Alexander's daughter?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 September 17 09:06 BST (UK) »
You could try the Black Watch Forums site.    They may be able to help

blackwatchforums.co.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 September 17 12:08 BST (UK) »
Claire....Thanks for the enlarged snippets (I can read them now)  ;)

Thanks BW for your interest.

I will have a look at the forum but I'm unsure if they could help further to be honest as I have all the info. I was hoping for on this thread.
To confirm or at least try to confirm the possibility of this being the correct man I would need his Army Records, Marriage (if he married Janet's mother) or a Bapt. for Janet.

I have searched the Forces Records of BMDs with no joy.
If she was illegitimate (very possible) then I suppose only DNA will sort it out eventually  ;D

I believe he is the correct man from the info. we have collated so far & it does seem rather a huge coincidence for Janet's father to be an Alexander (from Skye) & her g/father to have been a Murdoch as this Alexander in the 42nd has a father named Murdoch.

My query was help with this thread...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=550738.100

Annie