Author Topic: Looking for Rose Peck and/or descendants  (Read 16621 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Rose Peck and/or descendants
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 24 September 17 09:14 BST (UK) »
Yes,they are listed on a farm in 1939,but I don't think it is allowed to publish details.Let's hope Karen has access to FindMyPast.
Regards
Roger

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 24 September 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
Rose (and Harry) are in several trees on Ancestry.

Births September quarter 1897
Rosanna Florence E Ellinore Stow, S.    (marries as Ellinor)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 24 September 17 10:16 BST (UK) »
The 136th Station Hospital was at Acton near (Long) Melford,which apparently also treated German POWs,and there was an internment camp nearby.The Hospital would have been about 5 to 10 miles from the farm address.

Regards
Roger

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 24 September 17 13:02 BST (UK) »
Yes,they are listed on a farm in 1939,but I don't think it is allowed to publish details.Let's hope Karen has access to FindMyPast.
Regards
Roger

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking up the needle-in-a-haystack-task again!   :-*

Unfortunately, I no longer have access to things like Ancestry and FindMyPast - I hadn't done any (English) research for a couple of years and everything has lapsed...

I have just spent an hour googling and trawling through all manner of things on the Internet connected to Melford, POWs, etc.
It's grey and wet here, so why not.  :)

Karen

Edit: I have finally changed my Avatar. The Daytona (motorbike) was sold ages ago. Woofy is much more beautiful.  :)
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 24 September 17 13:28 BST (UK) »
The address is actually a village within the Long Melford Rural District. It is to the east of Long Melford. The village has 2 words to its name, the first word is the opposite of big, the second word has 12 letters.

The village has a history society who may be able to help.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 24 September 17 14:44 BST (UK) »
The address is actually a village within the Long Melford Rural District. It is to the east of Long Melford. The village has 2 words to its name, the first word is the opposite of big, the second word has 12 letters.

The village has a history society who may be able to help.

Thanks, Gibel! I have just applied my policeman's daughter's sleuthing skills and have found it.  ;D
I'll give the HS a go, but there are precious few references to war stuff on their website. We'll see what comes up.

Thanks again!
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 24 September 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure I recognise the address I was alluding to from that description.However I have now found two newspaper snipppets which refer to:-

1...the daughter of Mr & Mrs H.E.Peek(sic),Red Barn Farm,Leavenheath..." (1944)

2..Gnr.(name given,but omitted here) Peck,Red Barn Farm,Leavenheath home on leave...(1945)

Both refer to marriages I think(I can only view a small section)

Regards
Roger

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 24 September 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
I've just had a thought... (Ouch!  ;D)

Would a farmer (as farm owner) have been referred to as "Agricultural labourer" in census data?

The thing is, Emil (and Gustav) was taken care of on a farm and the people from the farm later sent at least one care packet to Germany. I was just wondering whether a farm labourer from that time would have had the means to look after a foreign POW and send parcels of food, clothing, etc. to a foreign country.

I'm not trying to elevate Rose & Co. into the landed gentry, but it is a train of thought which is occupying my brain today...

Karen

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 24 September 17 15:05 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure I recognise the address I was alluding to from that description.However I have now found two newspaper snipppets which refer to:-

1...the daughter of Mr & Mrs H.E.Peek(sic),Red Barn Farm,Leavenheath..." (1944)

2..Gnr.(name given,but omitted here) Peck,Red Barn Farm,Leavenheath home on leave...(1945)

Both refer to marriages I think(I can only view a small section)

Regards
Roger

Thanks for that, Roger. I've just googled it, but not a lot comes up. It looks like the farm is now (or was recently) owned by an IT chappie.

I am making a note of everything that gets added to this thread and hope that we will indeed get to the bottom of it all.

Thanks again,
Karen