Author Topic: Looking for Rose Peck and/or descendants  (Read 16667 times)

Offline sdbadger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Over there ... I will find them over there....
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Rose Peck and/or descendants
« Reply #54 on: Monday 30 October 17 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Well done!

And I think I have a Crewe or Crewekern connection. I'll check and let you know!
LUFF:  Illinois; Middx; Surrey; Berks
HEARNE:  Kent; Norfolk
HATHAWAY:  USA; Gloucestershire
OVENDEN:  Kent
WELLER:  Kent
SIMKINS:  Berks
WILLIAMS:  Bucks
CHARLEWOOD/CHARLWOOD:  Berks
HOPKINS: Gloucestershire
GILBERT: USA; Somersetshire
COCKS: Berks (?)

© yada ... yada ... yada

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 30 October 17 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered writing a small article for the newspapers, in the hope that someone may recognise the name, e.g. in here:

http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/about-us/

Offline Crisrbow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 07:37 GMT (UK) »
That is good news but are there any more clues on Rose Peck? No more names? Her father, husband  or siblings? Even a mention such as Rose was a young girl would help. Seems strange only Roses name has been remembered down through time , but you are a good few steps nearer now.

Cris
Bissett, Budd, Fife. Cook., Keen, Wilson, Sidaway Co.Durham, Vasey, Sunderland., Riddell, Durham.Sidaway Rowley Regis, StaffsBadger, Lee, Shropshire, Staffs, Durham
Latue, Durham, Booth , Durham and London

Offline Crisrbow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 07:53 GMT (UK) »
May be just a coincidence but there is a Pecks House Farm in Macklesfield Cheshire....not too far from Crewe. The address is Pecks House farm, Rushton Spencer, Macclesfield and the owner appears to be a W.Wood now.

Bissett, Budd, Fife. Cook., Keen, Wilson, Sidaway Co.Durham, Vasey, Sunderland., Riddell, Durham.Sidaway Rowley Regis, StaffsBadger, Lee, Shropshire, Staffs, Durham
Latue, Durham, Booth , Durham and London

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 08:39 GMT (UK) »
@chempat: That's a good idea. I'll give that a go, thanks!

@cris: I'll check out the farm, thanks.
All we know is Rose's name. I found details for Gustav's daughters (Birgit's cousins) and she has spoken to one of them. Unfortunately, the cousin only knew a few little snippets about Gustav's stays in England, and nothing about Emil's time there.
The one cousin who might know more said she would call back, but didn't. Maybe she will, but Birigt can't pressure her. They haven't seen each other since childhood.

Karen

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 08:52 GMT (UK) »
I was so excited about Birgit's news yesterday that I went to bed thinking about it and woke up thinking about it.  ;D Today is a (one-off) public holiday in Germany, so I'm going to get the keyboard working hard.

Two things have occurred to me:

1. Maybe the second longer time period in the DD list (Camp 17, Lodge Moor Camp, Sheffield) would be a better bet for the time Emil spent on the farm. Reason: Lots of things I read online yesterday evening make it sound as though a large number of German prisoners were first sent to work on farms after the end of the war.

2. I have been concentrating on ROSE Peck up until now, because that is how her name is entered in Birgit's christening certificate and that is how Birgit's middle name is written.
However, "Rose" is also a German name (person and flower), but the "e" on the end is pronounced here, so the name is pronounced more like the English name "Rosa".

It seems unlikely that Mrs. Peck was at the christening. If she had been there, I think the family would have mentioned it as some time to Birgit.
So...if Emil (and his wife) had said to the registrar that Birgit should be christened "Brigit Rosa", it would have been written here with an "e", not an "a". (Am I rambling!?)

Yesterday evening sdbadger found a snippet re: the death of a Rosa Peck in Stockport in 1960. That's not far away. I'll follow that up.

Bottom line:
To start with, I'd like to concentrate on finding a Rose/Rosa Peck (or family) who, during the war, had a farm near Camp 17, Sheffield.

That should narrow it down a bit. If that doesn't help, I'll extend it to the other camp areas.

It's getting exciting!  ;D ::)

Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

There is a Community Heritage Project for the camp at Redmires (Camp 17) on Facebook. As an absolute FB-Non-User, I have given in and signed up and am waiting for the group to grant me access. Fingers crossed!

Also, I am waiting to be approved by Sheffield History, so that I can ask them for help.

All this waiting...  ::)

Karen

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 16:25 GMT (UK) »
I'been looking for any Rose Pecks in the 1939 National Identity Register just under Yorkshire and then under Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster etc. One looked possibly interesting but looking on some electoral rolls wasn't. I used to live in the area so have some idea of the relevant council areas before 1974) I wonder if the right Rose Peck was born after 1915 and wouldn't show on the 1939?

If it was at Lodge Moor Emil met Rose the farm could have been over the border in Derbyshire. Maybe a letter to the local Sheffield paper might have some success.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Do you know Emil's rank etc and what he was in army or Air Force.