Author Topic: Looking for Rose Peck and/or descendants  (Read 16610 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Rose Peck and/or descendants
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 September 17 18:09 BST (UK) »
There is a Marriage in 1902 at Marlborough Wiltshire of a Charles Peck and a Rose Ferris.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 September 17 22:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks, William.

We really, really need to find out roughly where Emil was held in England.

I have sent out lots of messages today: Red Cross, Farmers' Union and a whole lot more.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something might turn up...

Thanks again,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 September 17 23:25 BST (UK) »
Probably just a coincidence,but as well as the person Garstonite identified,there is a Rose Peck at Folly Farm,Chiseldon,Swindon to WW1.There was an army camp at Chiseldon that had German and Italian POWs at the end of WW2.

Regards
Roger

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 September 17 00:02 BST (UK) »
I don't know if it is any help, but I can definitely confirm there were pow's working on farms in Wiltshire. I remember my Mum and aunts talking about them going past where they lived. The family home was about 10-15 miles from the area suggested in the previous replies.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 September 17 08:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I'll see what I can find on Folly Farm.

K.

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 September 17 08:08 BST (UK) »
There is a local history group at Chiseldon,perhaps it would be worth contacting them

http://www.chiseldonlhg.org.uk

Regards
Roger

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 September 17 08:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Roger!
I've just sent them a mail.
Oh, wouldn't it be great if that was our Rose..!  :D

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 September 17 18:40 BST (UK) »
Probably just a coincidence,but as well as the person Garstonite identified,there is a Rose Peck at Folly Farm,Chiseldon,Swindon to WW1.There was an army camp at Chiseldon that had German and Italian POWs at the end of WW2.

Regards
Roger

I have just spoken to the man who now owns Folly Farm. He only bought it a few years back, from a family named Whatley. There was no house to speak of - everything had fallen into disrepair. Sounds as though the current owners have put a lot of work into it, as it is now a working farm again.
The man knows absolutely nothing about the history of the farm around WWII, unfortunately.

I'll see if I can track down the Whatleys.

The search continues...

Karen

UPDATE: The Mr Whatley I have just spoken to said that his brother knows a lot more about the history of the farm. He is on holiday, but will be back soon. I can call him at the beginning of next week. 

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 September 17 18:42 BST (UK) »
added
on a farm in Preshute Without ,Wiltshire there is a lady named Rose Peck with her husband Charles  just before WW1 - Charles is 46 and Rose is 29 - so in 1942 ish she would be around 60 - has Birgit any idea how old Rose was when her dad was there - this is just an example of a possibility - that particular Rose died in 1948 aged 66.......is this the type of road we are looking to go down ??

Hi garstonite,

Do you by any chance have a name for the farm?

Thanks,
Karen