Author Topic: Looking for Rose Peck and/or descendants  (Read 16628 times)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Rose Peck and/or descendants
« Reply #18 on: Monday 18 September 17 16:47 BST (UK) »
There is a Marriage in 1902 at Marlborough Wiltshire of a Charles Peck and a Rose Ferris.

Regards
William Russell Jones.

Hello William,

Sorry to bother you, but do you have any more info on that?

Thanks very much,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 September 17 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi garstonite,

Sorry to trouble you again, but do you have any more info on Charles & Rose?

Thanks again,
Karen

There were nearly seventy people called Rose Peck at the outbreak of WW2, without some idea of whereabouts in England this was, it is hard to narrow  down  a likely person.

totally agree - but - how many lived on a farm - a tedious task - but what about checking out the 1939 register at the outbreak of WW2 and seeing if there is a Rose Peck living on a farm ?? 
added
on a farm in Preshute Without ,Wiltshire there is a lady named Rose Peck with her husband Charles  just before WW1 - Charles is 46 and Rose is 29 - so in 1942 ish she would be around 60 - has Birgit any idea how old Rose was when her dad was there - this is just an example of a possibility - that particular Rose died in 1948 aged 66.......is this the type of road we are looking to go down ??
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 18 September 17 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Birgit is back from holiday so I went next door and interrogated her this morning.  ;D

She knows nothing more than what she said before. She got out a box of old photos and showed me one with washing on a line - her baby things, sent over by the Peck family. How sweet is that?! Her parents took photos of the nappies & Co. from England. I thought it was lovely.

Anyway, we are now going to try a different road. Birgit is not in contact with her cousins, the children of deceased Uncle Gustav. If she had details for them, she would call, she said. So I consulted Auntie Goggle and Birgit now has contact details for the 3 cousins.

It is a bit of a long shot, but maybe Gustav told his children about his time in England and maybe one or more of them can remember something that might help us.

Fingers crossed!

Karen

Offline sdbadger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Over there ... I will find them over there....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 18 September 17 18:29 BST (UK) »
Karen:

youngtug came up with these resources:

http://theconversation.com/what-happened-to-german-prisoners-of-war-in-britain-after-hitlers-defeat-74859

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/the-day-that-deutschland-died-retracing-the-fate-of-captured-axis-soldiers-at-the-end-of-ww2-10216869.html

http://www.swindonweb.com/index.asp?m=8&s=116&ss=763

And Cris found the marriage of Charles and Rose:

Charles Peck
Birth Date:
abt 1865
Marriage Date:
15 Feb 1902
Marriage Place:
Overton, Wiltshire, England
Search Photos:
Search for 'Overton' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
Father:
James Peck
Spouse:
Rose Farris

Hope this can be of some help!
LUFF:  Illinois; Middx; Surrey; Berks
HEARNE:  Kent; Norfolk
HATHAWAY:  USA; Gloucestershire
OVENDEN:  Kent
WELLER:  Kent
SIMKINS:  Berks
WILLIAMS:  Bucks
CHARLEWOOD/CHARLWOOD:  Berks
HOPKINS: Gloucestershire
GILBERT: USA; Somersetshire
COCKS: Berks (?)

© yada ... yada ... yada

Offline Crisrbow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 18 September 17 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen....Just to add to Badger's post, in 1911 there were no children of the marriage, I haven't been able to find any born after 1911.

Cris
Bissett, Budd, Fife. Cook., Keen, Wilson, Sidaway Co.Durham, Vasey, Sunderland., Riddell, Durham.Sidaway Rowley Regis, StaffsBadger, Lee, Shropshire, Staffs, Durham
Latue, Durham, Booth , Durham and London

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 September 17 21:58 BST (UK) »
Karen:

youngtug came up with these resources:

Thanks very much indeed for all that, Badger!
The links are interesting, even though they are also very sad in places. I've just spent nearly an hour reading them, although I wanted an early night..!

Birgit said her father was allowed home almost as soon as the war was over, as far as she knows. A lot of the POWs were apparently held for much longer - I hadn't been aware of that.

The marriage data sounds promising. I can hardly bear the suspense of waiting for Birgit to talk to her cousins!

Thanks again to you, Cris and Youngtug,
Karen

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 18 September 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen....Just to add to Badger's post, in 1911 there were no children of the marriage, I haven't been able to find any born after 1911.

Cris

Many thanks for that, Cris.

If they hadn't had any kiddies after 9 years of marriage, there's a good chance it stayed that way.
I try so hard not to read too much into these things, but if it is the "right" Rose, maybe that is what made her so willing to help Gustav (who went to the farm when he was 12 or 13 years old)...

The suspense is almost unbearable.

K.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
Quick summary.  :)
Scotsannie invested a great deal of time and effort (thanks again, Annie!) in trying to find "our" Rose, but I am afraid that we are going to have to discount the 2 ladies she unearthed (figuratively speaking  ;D).

I say "2 ladies", as there are plainly records for 2 different people in the data which she sent me. I'll call them Rose 1 and Rose 2.

Sometimes it's not a case of finding the right person, but eliminating the wrong people, so I'm not that depressed. (No. I'm not. Really.  :'()

Just in case anyone can help, here, in a nutshell, is what Scotsannie sent me:

Rose 1:

Rose Peck, born Greenaway, 07.07.1886 in Chiseldon, Wilts.
1906, marriage to John Peck
Had 2 sons.
1915, death of John Peck.
1917, marriage to Ernest Simkin
1917, birth of daughter Iris
1918, Residence: Ludgershall, Wilts.
1919, emigration to Australia
1974, death in Australia

Name:Rose PeckAge in 1911:24Estimated birth year:abt 1887Relation to Head:WifeGender:FemaleBirth Place:PreshuteCivil Parish:ChisledonSearch Photos:Search for 'Chisledon' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collectionCounty/Island:WiltshireCountry:EnglandStreet address:Fally Farm, Chisledon, WiltsMarital Status:MarriedYears Married:4Estimated Marriage Year:1907Registration district:SwindonRegistration District Number:240Sub-registration district:SwindonED, institution, or vessel:6Household schedule number:35Piece:11772Household Members:
Name          Age
John Peck         27
Rose Peck        24
Arthur Peck      4
Tom Peck         2
Thomas Greenaway 26

Rose 2:
Name: Rose Peck
Death Age:66
Birth Date:abt 1882
Registration Date:Mar 1948
Registration district:Devizes
Inferred County:Wiltshire
Volume:7c

I am eliminating Rose 1 as
a) she married Ernest Simkin
b) she moved to Australia with him in 1919, where they had children and where she died in 1974.

OK, we can't be sure, but the chances of her going back to Folly Farm (I think it must be a typo in the record where it is shown as Fally) during WWII under the name of Peck and then going back to Australia to live and die as Simkin are fairly remote.

Also, Folly Farm was sold in 1947. I am in contact with previous owners in the hope of finding out a bit more, just to be on the safe side.

I am eliminating Rose 2 as she died in March 1948.
This is not conclusive as regards looking after young Gustav after the war. However, I found out yesterday that Rose Peck was officially noted as Godparent in Birgit Rose's christening certificate. Birgit was born in August 1948 and I would like to stick my neck out and presume that Rose Peck was indeed alive when she was made Godmother.

Being a Godparent was taken extremely seriously in Germany in those days. It was an honour to be asked and carried a great deal of responsibility, should anything happen to the kiddy's parents.

I am now trying to find out whether Rose Peck's address in England was noted by the church in Hamburg at the time of Birgit's christening. Could take a while to find out and it would almost be too much to hope for, but you never know...

Karen

Offline Crisrbow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen...Just read back to your first post.....am I right in that the only information you actually had was the name Rose Peck and that she lived /owned a farm, but no knowledge of where the farm was? Somehow the search has been concentrated in the Swindon area. Let's hope Birgitt's cousins know a few more scraps of information it would be so good to help Birgitt make contact with the family

Cris
Bissett, Budd, Fife. Cook., Keen, Wilson, Sidaway Co.Durham, Vasey, Sunderland., Riddell, Durham.Sidaway Rowley Regis, StaffsBadger, Lee, Shropshire, Staffs, Durham
Latue, Durham, Booth , Durham and London