Author Topic: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)  (Read 13848 times)

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 September 17 18:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annie  ;) - already wasting our time here going over what has already been found.  ::)

Rosie17 found a death in York Ontario in 1918 that seems to fit - sadly no further info on the death cert - for us to count her in or out  :-\

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline saraslater

• RootsChat Extra
  • sk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 September 17 19:07 BST (UK) »
Swinbourne, Hunt, Maxwell, Taylor, Williamson, Burt, Cant, Cameron, Leavesly, Cooper, Rankine, Taylor, Anderson

Offline saraslater

• RootsChat Extra
  • sk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 September 17 19:17 BST (UK) »
I have not found actual obituary, but I have the book from his funeral.

We have to check all the angles. The posting is for information purposes for those who might join the search so that we do not duplicate each other.

Have you located obituaries for the son William Arthur Smith - 15 December 1913 - Lincoln, Ontario, Canada passed away 19 February 1971 - Toronto, Ontario, Canada ?

Sandra
Swinbourne, Hunt, Maxwell, Taylor, Williamson, Burt, Cant, Cameron, Leavesly, Cooper, Rankine, Taylor, Anderson

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 September 17 19:23 BST (UK) »
My post from yesterday (they referred me to the Canada forum)

Which would have been fine if you'd posted a link to the info. you already had so people would have known what had already been found & redirected to it.

My 1st post on this thread to you was the only marriage to be found but alas you already had that info. on the other thread to which there was no link i.e. double trouble by looking up info. already searched & found by someone else  ::)

I only noticed because both requests were showing at the same time on the 'Home' page!

Furthermore, you didn't indicate from my post that someone else had found that info. & more either  ???

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline saraslater

• RootsChat Extra
  • sk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 September 17 19:36 BST (UK) »
My post from yesterday (they referred me to the Canada forum)

Which would have been fine if you'd posted a link to the info. you already had so people would have known what had already been found & redirected to it.

My 1st post on this thread to you was the only marriage to be found but alas you already had that info. on the other thread to which there was no link i.e. double trouble by looking up info. already searched & found by someone else  ::)

I only noticed because both requests were showing at the same time on the 'Home' page!

Furthermore, you didn't indicate from my post that someone else had found that info. & more either  ???

Annie

I'm sorry. My first time posting, and did not know. The other thread referred that I should post here, so that's what I did. I did not intend to cause trouble.

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 September 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
Strange that on the 1921 census 104 Pendrith North Toronto - the parents are listed as Hiram and Sarah  J Fredenburg.

Hiram J Fredenburg   43 Sarah Fredenburg   43
William H Fredenburg   22 Daisy E Fredenburg   9

but on the marriage certificate for Daisy they are listed as Edward Fredenburg and Margaret Cameron  ::)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline saraslater

• RootsChat Extra
  • sk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 September 17 03:09 BST (UK) »
That part makes total sense because Hiram & Sarah Fredenburgh adopted my grandmother when she was young - age 5-7 years, presumably when Maggie died, but my mom says we don't know for sure that's when she died.

But on the birth record listed as Edward Noble and Maggie Cameron. I'm beginning to think this is a lie though, since it lists their marriage date and there was no such marriage recorded in Scotland (as found by this forum).

Maggie may have also lived on Penrith, and maybe that's how the Fredenburg's came to adopt Daisy.

Strange that on the 1921 census 104 Pendrith North Toronto - the parents are listed as Hiram and Sarah  J Fredenburg.

Hiram J Fredenburg   43 Sarah Fredenburg   43
William H Fredenburg   22 Daisy E Fredenburg   9

but on the marriage certificate for Daisy they are listed as Edward Fredenburg and Margaret Cameron  ::)

Sandra

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 September 17 03:25 BST (UK) »
You might want to look through the old Toronto directories to see if Edward/Maggie combination pops up:

http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/history-genealogy/lh-digital-city-directories.jsp

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 September 17 07:21 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you've seen the burial record that matches the death certificate that Rosie17 posted for Maggie, but it has added info that Henry George Smith purchased the plot, was her nearest living relative, and resided at 391 Clinton (Toronto).

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DRY3-HRJ?i=27&cc=1627831

The entry in the 1918 Toronto directory for him states he "is on active service".
The WW1 attestation form for him states wife is Maggie Smith.  Sooner or later, his full service file will be digitized and free to view, but this will be in the future, as it is done in batches, and they are aren't up to S names yet.  (There should be mention of his children in it)  I doubt there will be any great clues as to Maggie, but you never know!

This link will tell you when they hit the Smiths'  https://thediscoverblog.com/category/digitization-2/

Attestation form: http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=237906