Author Topic: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)  (Read 13990 times)

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 04:32 BST (UK) »
It will take me a bit to find which of the zillion tabs I have open for the McEwans.

Will have found it by the time you check back in, Annie!  Have a good break!

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 04:44 BST (UK) »

John    McEwen    Head    Married    Male    69    1832    Store Keeper Coalyard    Ardersier, Invernessshire, Scotland    

Margaret    McEwen    Wife    Married    Female    64    1837    -    Dyke, Elgin or Moray, Scotland    

Alexander    Cameron    Boarder    Single    Male    40    1861    Bricklayer    Nairn, Nairnshire, Scotland

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 05:37 BST (UK) »
Sara, is there any way you can get to Prospect Cemetery (1450 St Clair Ave W,) ?

IF Maggie Smith has a headstone, and IF her birth date is on it (it's not on her death cert. or burial record) we can tell for sure if she was the daughter of Alexander Cameron and Margaret Cant. Otherwise, we are just going in circles.

The cemetery office will need the info from here in order to guide you to the grave (plot number is on the image) :
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2767-9QJ

Offline saraslater

• RootsChat Extra
  • sk
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 13:09 BST (UK) »
I can! It's on my list of things I'd like to do.

Probably not until the weekend though.

Thanks for the tip on the grave plot #

Sara, is there any way you can get to Prospect Cemetery (1450 St Clair Ave W,) ?

IF Maggie Smith has a headstone, and IF her birth date is on it (it's not on her death cert. or burial record) we can tell for sure if she was the daughter of Alexander Cameron and Margaret Cant. Otherwise, we are just going in circles.

The cemetery office will need the info from here in order to guide you to the grave (plot number is on the image) :
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2767-9QJ
Swinbourne, Hunt, Maxwell, Taylor, Williamson, Burt, Cant, Cameron, Leavesly, Cooper, Rankine, Taylor, Anderson

Offline saraslater

• RootsChat Extra
  • sk
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 13:13 BST (UK) »
I'll have to try and compile all this into another Google Doc for myself to make sense of it all.
 8)
Thanks for discovering things about my Maggie.
Swinbourne, Hunt, Maxwell, Taylor, Williamson, Burt, Cant, Cameron, Leavesly, Cooper, Rankine, Taylor, Anderson

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 13:31 BST (UK) »

John    McEwen    Head    Married    Male    69    1832    Store Keeper Coalyard    Ardersier, Invernessshire, Scotland    
Margaret    McEwen    Wife    Married    Female    64    1837    -    Dyke, Elgin or Moray, Scotland    
Alexander    Cameron    Boarder    Single    Male    40    1861    Bricklayer    Nairn, Nairnshire, Scotland

Thinking aloud but...

I'm sure it has been mentioned that Margaret Cant (mother of Maggie) was also illegitimate?

I wonder if Margaret McEwen in 1901 is her mother although I haven't found a marriage yet nor have I checked ages etc. i.e. just posting for ref. meanwhile as I have to go out soon but maybe someone can do the arithmetics for a possible  ;)

I just thought maybe with Alexander being there could it be more than just coincidence?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 14:12 BST (UK) »
Back to the surname Fraser just incase for ref...

Death

CANT MARGARET
107/1 11
Urquhart (Inverness)

FRASER MARGARET
107/1 11
Urquhart (Inverness)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Thursday 21 September 17 00:53 BST (UK) »
Scrolling through the birth records book that Daisy appeared in, it appears most babies were still being born at home, so the house address is on the registration.  We have no address other than the name of the hospital.  I looked up the Dr F Fenton that attended her birth, and it turns out he was a high up officer in the Ontario Medical Society, as head for Obstetrics and Diseases of Woman.
(Source: http://scans.library.utoronto.ca/pdf/5/24/canadianjournalo32torouoft/canadianjournalo32torouoft.pdf  Page 47 (55/614) )

How in the world could Maggie afford him?

Sara, can you look for a birth announcement in the Toronto Papers?  I think RunKitty told you how to access them via your library card.

Offline saraslater

• RootsChat Extra
  • sk
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Thursday 21 September 17 03:03 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'll do this. Interesting discovery!

Scrolling through the birth records book that Daisy appeared in, it appears most babies were still being born at home, so the house address is on the registration.  We have no address other than the name of the hospital.  I looked up the Dr F Fenton that attended her birth, and it turns out he was a high up officer in the Ontario Medical Society, as head for Obstetrics and Diseases of Woman.
(Source: http://scans.library.utoronto.ca/pdf/5/24/canadianjournalo32torouoft/canadianjournalo32torouoft.pdf  Page 47 (55/614) )

How in the world could Maggie afford him?

Sara, can you look for a birth announcement in the Toronto Papers?  I think RunKitty told you how to access them via your library card.