Author Topic: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)  (Read 13986 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)
« Reply #171 on: Friday 22 September 17 14:25 BST (UK) »
Margaret Cant b 1866 Edinkillie-- Just to outline her history.
1871 -No3 Chapelton Moss, Forres Landward. With grandparents Alexander Cant and Margaret MS Gray, listed as Marjory aged 4.
1881-Broomhill Rafford aged 14 dairymaid to Elspet Stewart.
1891 - 32 Albert St Nairn aged 24 domestic servant to Agnes Gibson Bulkeley.
1901 - Caunton Notts aged 34 with husband George Henry Antliff and children.
1911 - Gilberts Row, Caunton Notts aged 44
Birth 21 May 1866 Ardoch, Edinkillie, Moray
Marriage 22 May 1892 St Andrews Church Caunton Notts.
Died 13 Oct 1930 Caunton.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Friday 22 September 17 15:22 BST (UK) »
Birth registration for Maggie Fraser's daughter Lily.  Registration at Nairn - there also appears to be one at Cawdor.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Friday 22 September 17 15:32 BST (UK) »
There is no definite proof that Peter Fraser had an illegitimate daughter Maggie - only the child was given to the family.  It could have been given to Mary Ann as her blood relation.  That is what I wanted to prove/disprove.  Was the 1891 Maggie Cameron with Mary Ann the Maggie Fraser with her in 1901.  Maggie Cameron tracks better to the 1901 census with the Noble family as place of birth coincides better.  Maggie Fraser's place of birth is given as Nairn - although that is tracking with the rest of the household.  It seems that Mary Ann was willing to take in grandchildren in later years it was hard for me to reconcile her giving another one away.
The birth registration of Lily seems to indicate that Maggie Fraser was the one to register it which means she couldn't make the 1909 Empress of Ireland sailing to Canada.
Would love the original poster to obtain the birth record for Maggie Fraser - illegitimate daughter of Peter or find Maggie Fraser on the 1911 Scottish census. 

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Friday 22 September 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1891 Scottish census for Maggie's born 1888 Nairn that didn't have mothers or fathers attached to them.
Margaret Barron with grandparents Alexander and Christina Barron although possible mothers exist in the household Eliza or Margaret  In 1901 she might be with a Laird family.
Margaret W. Mann with her grandfather Hugh Mann In 1901 there is a Mary Mann doctors wife with a daughter Margaret and son Hugh so perhaps she is accounted for.
Margaret Fraser born Nairn but living in Auldean with two elderly Campbell sisters Ann and Isabella both shown as paupers.  In 1901 the only choice seems to be Peter and Mary's house.
Just in case birth of Maggie Fraser was not registered under father's name

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Friday 22 September 17 18:00 BST (UK) »
Back in post 22, I posted about the Canadian train passenger list where Maggie Noble gave her nearest relative as brother Joseph Noble at 3 Simpson St, Nairn.

After finding the newspaper article about Maggie Noble's poor baby Maggie Ann residing at 5 Simpson St, I went back and double checked Joseph's address, and it is also 5 Simpson St.

I'm thinking that perhaps this Maggie Noble is Margaret Cameron.  I did get the birth/death regs for baby Maggie, but they shed no light.  They just say Maggie Noble for mother.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Friday 22 September 17 20:47 BST (UK) »
I have been following this thread with great interest, although I seem to lose the plot occasionally  ;D.

I would like to add that the Maggie Noble with brother Joseph back in Scotland was travelling with a daughter Victoria age 1 month. Victoria's paperwork also gives Joseph (uncle) as a contact. She, of course, was also debarred.

I can't find any other sign of Victoria at the moment.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Friday 22 September 17 21:08 BST (UK) »
Wow. Great find!  We lose the plot occasionally as well, so no worries there!

As you say, no other records for her....  no birth, no death, very typical of this whole family!

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Friday 22 September 17 22:11 BST (UK) »
Lloyd Allen Wooley and wife Laura Wells the couple Maggie Noble is destined to in Buffalo are on the 1910, 1920 census.  Both are born New York state with parents born New York state.  Family tree shows no Scottish connections

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Friday 22 September 17 22:35 BST (UK) »
In tiny print on either the manifest or the card (both for the border crossing), it says that Maggie was going to the Woolley's (passage paid by Laura's sister, Ida MacDuffie) for employment as a wet nurse. I just saw that, even though I've spent a zillion hours this week looking for some connection.  ::)