Author Topic: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)  (Read 14055 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)
« Reply #207 on: Saturday 23 September 17 13:28 BST (UK) »
Annie, Google says there was a Conanbridge in Urquhart, so I think it says Conan Village.

That's the place but it's good to know for searching later census' but I think Maggie Noble disappears after 1881?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Saturday 23 September 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
There is a death on Scotlands People for Auldearn, Nairn for 9 year old Maggie Noble.  Fits with place and age.  I had searched before for a death but probably only using Margaret.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Saturday 23 September 17 18:06 BST (UK) »
Back in post 109 (pg 13) and again in post 143 (pg 16) Rosinish queried who the Margaret Noble was on a 1911 census:

Annie, there are Camerons on the page, (father Evan, wife Jesse, son John) but it is not the same household with Margaret Noble.   She is the daughter of widowed Roderick Noble, with her siblings of John, William, and Catherine.

Offline saraslater

• RootsChat Extra
  • sk
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: Saturday 23 September 17 18:34 BST (UK) »

Maggie & Edward were supposedly married 1906 in Fraserburgh.

I'm not sure where you saw the Fraserburgh connection. ???  Daisy's birth cert. just states Scotland for place of marriage.

Do you know something I missed, or did you dip into our case of celebration wine already?

I'm not sure how the marriage was in Fraserburgh... that could be a mistake on my part? But I think Maggie just made up the marriage anyhow.
Swinbourne, Hunt, Maxwell, Taylor, Williamson, Burt, Cant, Cameron, Leavesly, Cooper, Rankine, Taylor, Anderson

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Saturday 23 September 17 18:43 BST (UK) »
Think it's easy to connect the different facts together in error when dealing with multiple theories.  Daisy's birth does just indicate a Scottish marriage and like you I believe it was just made up.

Offline saraslater

• RootsChat Extra
  • sk
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: Saturday 23 September 17 18:44 BST (UK) »
I have also lost the plot along the way a few times... but is this what we are thinking is possible?:

Maggie was born to Margaret Cant, and named Maggie Cameron due to father Alexander, but raised by Mary Ann Cameron, who then married Peter Fraser. When Maggie Fraser came along, Maggie Cameron was given to the Nobles to raise (who lived close proximity).

Maggie’s mother was Margaret Cant (of member larkspurs Cant family), and there is a DNA link relating her to me.

Maggie came to Canada in 1909, and had a daughter Victoria, and may have been a criminal because she was turned away at the US border when she was trying to cross to be a wet nurse in Buffalo.

How does Lily Fraser relate?

I should have relatives Cant, (confirmed), Antliff(e), Cameron, and possibly even Fraser (if Alexander Cameron actually is the right father).

If lucky, also relatives that came after Victoria, and possibly after Harold Smith, presumably born in Ontario area as well.

Does this sound right?

----

Tomorrow, my husband is going to take me to Maggie's cemetary, and see if we can find anything.

I should also go to the Toronto Archives (when I have a weekday time) to look up and see if I can find any arrests for Maggie Noble. And maybe birth records (I'm not sure what they have there) for Maggie's children William Arthur Smith and Harold Smith, and possibly Victoria?

I am going to write/call the orphanage to see if they have any information on Maggie and the boys as well.

Is there anything else I should do that's Toronto related?
Swinbourne, Hunt, Maxwell, Taylor, Williamson, Burt, Cant, Cameron, Leavesly, Cooper, Rankine, Taylor, Anderson

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: Saturday 23 September 17 19:13 BST (UK) »
Sara, before you get the stepbrothers birth registrations, check what info you might need.  They may be still considered private, so you might need to take some kind of documentation? 

Don't get your hopes up too high for a headstone.... during the war, very few people got them, as all resources went to the war (according to the caretakers of several cemeteries around me).

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: Saturday 23 September 17 19:16 BST (UK) »
Sometime between the 1901 census and 1906, Angus Noble and family took over the boarding house at 5 Simpson St.

1901 census, Angus, Annie, sons John and William and Margaret Cameron/Cant/Noble are at 18 Harbour St.

07 Dec 1906  The newspaper Inverness Courier has an article on Angus Noble, 5 Simpson St, found guilty of beating his wife about the head and body, and breach of peace.

28 May 1907  Maggie Noble has a baby girl, Maggie Ann, at 5 Simpson St.

20 August 1907  The Aberdeen Press and Journal runs the sad story of baby Maggie Ann (see post 142 for article) which occurred at 5 Simpson St.

10 Sept 1907 Baby Maggie Ann dies at 5 Simpson St.  Cause of death "convulsions?" The question mark is theirs, not mine.  Mother Maggie Noble, informant, was not present; she was at Inchyettle, Cawdor at the time.

03 Jul 1908  Angus Noble of 5 Simpson St dies in hospital. Cause of death: cirrhosis of liver and uncertain. Son William of 5 Simpson St is informant.

Feb 1909  Maggie Noble sails to Canada, destination Toronto, with a corresponding border crossing attempt in Nov 1909 which indicates a brother "Joseph" (which should be John) at 5 Simpson St. Nairn.

1911 Scottish census  Widowed Ann Noble, lodging house keeper, with son William and several boarders at 5 Simpson St.

1920  Death of Ann Noble at 5 Simpson St. Cause of death, hemiplegia 4 yrs.  Signed by J. Noble (absent).

I think if you accept the fact that the Nobles are the ones raising Margaret Cant/Cameron, that she is indeed the mother of Maggie Ann as well as Victoria in Toronto.  And remember, Ann Noble's mother was a Cameron!

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: Saturday 23 September 17 19:21 BST (UK) »
Lily Fraser was one of two illegitimate children of Maggie Fraser (illegitimate daughter of Peter Fraser).  Maggie gave both children to Mary Ann Fraser (nee Cameron) to raise and are on the 1911 census with the Fraser family in Cawdor, Nairn.  After Lily's birth we lose track of Maggie Fraser but the fact she registered Lily's birth in March 1909 indicated Maggie Cameron in the household of Angus and Ann Noble in 1901 is an entirely different person than the Maggie Fraser in the 1901 household of Peter and Mary Ann Fraser.
Your Maggie might have a criminal record or just been a victim of social judgement prevalent in that era.
Ontario archives should have the birth records available to view for both the Smith children. 1917 births are now in public domain.   Since we can't find a birth for Victoria online at ancestry most likely that birth wasn't registered.

Just read bbart's Simpson Street accounting.  Certainly did a lot of work for you and makes a convincing case.  Earned that glass of wine!