Author Topic: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #10 Ruby Wax  (Read 14668 times)

Offline Barnes612

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #10 Ruby Wax
« Reply #63 on: Friday 06 October 17 18:17 BST (UK) »
You may find this interesting. It's about 'memory' being passed through generations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25156510
WARBURTON, WOODS, BARNES, HAWORTH: Haslingden, Lancashire
GIBBONS: Oving, Sussex
OAKLEY: Bunbury, Cheshire
LANKENAU: Vegesack, Bremen

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 06 October 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
You may find this interesting. It's about 'memory' being passed through generations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25156510

Thanks for posting the link, I found it interesting. This memory link might explain why I sometimes disagree with historian and other experts when they explain what happened long ago and I just know that they're wrong  ;D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 07 October 17 15:20 BST (UK) »
I found this programme unbearably moving.

Ruby evidently had a very distressing and dysfunctional childhood, has fought against it all her life (very successfully, she has been a great comedy writer and actress in her time), reinvented herself in later life to talk about her mental issues which has doubtlessly helped other people.

During the very sad discoveries, she said herself that she is on medication and this is how she managed to deal with her findings (in fact I was quite worried she seemed to be alone abroad whilst finding out these things - should she/did she have someone with her to help and talk to).

I cannot imagine how devastating all these things would be, to finally find out.

Very very brave of her, I do hope this has helped her.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 07 October 17 16:10 BST (UK) »
Yes, I must admit that the programme rather modified my attitude to her.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 07 October 17 18:04 BST (UK) »
I found this programme unbearably moving.

Ruby evidently had a very distressing and dysfunctional childhood, has fought against it all her life (very successfully, she has been a great comedy writer and actress in her time), reinvented herself in later life to talk about her mental issues which has doubtlessly helped other people.

During the very sad discoveries, she said herself that she is on medication and this is how she managed to deal with her findings (in fact I was quite worried she seemed to be alone abroad whilst finding out these things - should she/did she have someone with her to help and talk to).

I cannot imagine how devastating all these things would be, to finally find out.

Very very brave of her, I do hope this has helped her.

I so agree.  To watch her stroking the headstone, and to know where the recommendation to try Yad Vashem would lead.....
Remembering how I felt when I discovered that my great grandfather had died in Theresienstadt, and that his wife had then perished in Auschwitz made me tremble for Ruby.
Yes, an unbearably moving programme. :'(

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 09 October 17 14:39 BST (UK) »
(Can I add a little nosey query ?    What has she done with her eye-brows ?   Being always high up on her face makes her look permanently startled .... is this plastic surgery gone wild ?   Or is her often strange look all part of her own mental illness ?)

I too found myself becoming preoccupied with her eyebrows... (I would hazard a guess that she's had them waxed (!) and dyed). A shame, because the subjects covered were often tragic and traumatic ones.

I have previously read several articles where Ruby commented on her parents, and it does seem strange that she never asked them more about their lives before they went to the U.S, - but some families just don't communicate much! It also occurred to me that mental illness in families might very well have been viewed as a huge social stigma in her parent's generation, and her mother might well have not wished to pass this knowledge on for these reasons.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 09 October 17 14:44 BST (UK) »
Mental illness still carries (to some) a social stigma today.

My mother-in-law has always been adamant that she didn't want me "poking my nose" into her family, when I offered to research her tree.
We are 90% sure it's because of mental illness of someone connected to her within the last 100 years or so?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 09 October 17 14:51 BST (UK) »
Mental illness still carries (to some) a social stigma today.

My mother-in-law has always been adamant that she didn't want me "poking my nose" into her family, when I offered to research her tree.
We are 90% sure it's because of mental illness of someone connected to her within the last 100 years or so? 

Highly possible.
I have encountered a similar reaction..... turned out to be illegitimacy in that family's past.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 09 October 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
I found this episode very validating to myself.

The main reason I got into genealogy was because of the prevalence of mental illness on my mother's side (and myself also). There is a history of suicide, my 2x great grandfather shot himself and there are other branches of the same family being admitted into asylums with delusions or similar.

I really found this episode moving and could relate to a lot of what Ruby was saying in regards to mental ill health and her desire to find anything similar in ancestors.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie