Author Topic: Bastardy Cases 1906?  (Read 972 times)

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bastardy Cases 1906?
« on: Thursday 14 September 17 21:08 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there are any records of Bastardy Cases from 1906 please? In the Spilsby/Toynton area. Im interested to see if my great grandmother filed or if a different system was then in place.

Thank you

Jules
Wright - Lincolnshire; Daymond - Devon; Murray - Co Cork; East - Hereforshire; Underwood - Blaenafon/Trevethin;

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Bastardy Cases 1906?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 September 17 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm not sure if this is relevant but maybe worth looking into. There is a school admission record for your ancestor. I had seen your other post. There is a whole page of admissions of different children.

Above your grandfathers record, there is a record of a Mabel Ellen Todd, born 5 months before your grandfather, address: Irby. from Toynton St Peters, both registered at Spilsby. - All the details are the same as your grandfathers

In the final column where it says "parent or guardian", her father is listed as Henry Todd. He was a labourer ( that was dittoed - but from the record above). In your grandfathers column is an 'n' and ditto marks  "   . 

It does look like the register was filled in and implied that this man was possibly his guardian or father I've looked at other pages of the register and there are a couple of women down as parent or guardian - in this case I would have thought his mother's name would be there.

I'll add snippets of the record, see what you think. It was over two pages, so too long to put as one snippet.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 September 17 01:21 BST (UK) »
Possibly called Affiliation order

I obtained a 1900 one from local records office I made a phone call first to see if it was likely to exist and paid some money for the initial search

It's a beautiful documents and gave birth father's address as well as weekly  payments amounts payable  up til child's 14 th birthday and an amount for the birth costs

Good luck
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 September 17 01:33 BST (UK) »
Also it is possible to find out your great great grandfather s identity through DNA but you have to be very lucky and it's expensive
My mother's DNA matched a 3 rd and a 4 th cousin ....their shared great grandfather proved that their grandmother was her grandfather s sister ....it wouldn't have worked ifhey hadn't had unusual names and lived where we expected .

Also her   mother's half brother came up as being a 2 nd cousin 
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 September 17 08:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much for replying.

Claire - that's an amazing bit of research, thank you! It's definitely worth looking deeper into this as, I agree, if there was only Mum around, she would have be named. I wonder who Henry Todd was. Could you please tell me how and where you found this document and how I can see it myself? I had never thought of school records!

Brigidmac - thank you for this info. I will be moving to Lincolnshire in the next few months so will looks further into it as to find a document this gives this information would be a real triumph!

Many thanks to both of you xx
Wright - Lincolnshire; Daymond - Devon; Murray - Co Cork; East - Hereforshire; Underwood - Blaenafon/Trevethin;

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 September 17 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi chepstowgirl

The record is part of F M P school admissions records.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk