Author Topic: Requesting registrar to search for a birth  (Read 4707 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting registrar to search for a birth
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 September 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
I enclosed £15 but gave them phone & email contact details in case they need more. 

The most important thing is ensuring it's a thorough search to identify all of the reasonable possibilities, so I've made it clear I'm willing to pay for that.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 15 September 17 16:16 BST (UK) »
The searches referred to in #4 are of the indexes only, not the registers. They will probably just send a list of any entries which match whatever criteria you have given ...

You may be lucky and get a helpful person who wants to try and solve your problem, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just reply as they have before.

Have you ever ordered a copy of the 1847 entry you identified in post #13 ?

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 15 September 17 17:24 BST (UK) »
I got the impression that they had searched more than the indexes when they replied previously, although I may well be wrong.  Are the indexes likely to include date of birth, as this is what they said they had checked?

Have you ever ordered a copy of the 1847 entry you identified in post #13 ?

I didn't think I had, but I've just gone back through all my certificates and it seems I do have this one but recorded the page number wrongly in my list of certificates.  Unfortunately the address is just Aberdare and the DoB is 8 January whereas her death certificate states 2nd March.  Mother Ann Anne, no father listed.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 15 September 17 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hmm I find it interesting that she is listed as a Relative Lodger.  To me that would imply that she is related to the head of the household, Ann Jenkins.

Ann Jenkins was formerly Thomas, but I haven't been able to make the link to a Davis or Davies. Still working on it but not getting very far!
There is a birth recorded June quarter 1848 for a Ann Davis mmn Thomas
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 15 September 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Isobel, yes, that's one I'd been considering but there are a number of other possibilities too, hence me hoping the register office would at last help me narrow them down.   

In 1861 Ann (or the person I think is 'my' Ann) is a servant to a family called Adams, and the wife in that family may also have been a Thomas, although I'm still working on that theory  RG9/4069/44/11

It turns out my OH has forgotten to post my letter to the register office anyway, so maybe I'll have a re-think and call them first  :-\

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 15 September 17 17:54 BST (UK) »
I had a look at the death certificate and the year of birth is quite a number of years out.   You say she was born 1847/48 but the death cert gives a year of 1853.

One could understand being a couple of years out but five/six years out?

The informant appears to be a Maria Davies and it looks as though Daughter has been added later.  Your Ann married a Henry Morgan.  Do I take it that Maria married a Davies?

Did you do a census search for any James Nichlos in the area that Ann lived?
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 15 September 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
Did you do a census search for any James Nichlos in the area that Ann lived?

I wondered whether "Nichlos" (as posted earlier in the thread) was a typo for Nichols or similar?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 15 September 17 18:19 BST (UK) »
The ages I have for Ann are as follows:
20 in 1868 (Marriage) = 1848
23 in 1871 (Census) = 1848
32 in 1881 (Census) = 1849
40 in 1891 (Census) = 1851
52 in 1901 (Census) = 1849
55 in 1908 (Passenger List) = 1853
61 in 1910 (Census) = 1849
71 in 1920 (Census) = 1849
70 in 1923 (Death Cert) = 1853

Maria was born in Feb 1869, about 6 weeks after the marriage, and married twice, her second husband being named Davies. Based on the above I'm inclined to think c1848 is correct.

I have found a James Nicholas who was a miner living in Aberdare with his wife Sarah in 1851, but haven't been able to connect him to Ann.  It's all just a collection fragments I can't tie together.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 15 September 17 18:43 BST (UK) »
I should have also mentioned that Maria was named after Henry's mother, but their second daughter was named Gwenllian - a name that doesn't feature in Henry's family so may possibly be connected to Ann.