Author Topic: Requesting registrar to search for a birth  (Read 4712 times)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting registrar to search for a birth
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 17 September 17 15:22 BST (UK) »
Just a note one of my great uncles registered his grandmother's death and recorded her surname wrong ..it was his other grandma s surname ..he probably always called her granny Aggie ...easy mistake to make when grieving but unhelpful to research ...
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 17 September 17 15:59 BST (UK) »
Something else to consider is that boundaries changed over time and while you might expect a registration in one area, it actually happened in an other, especially when actual streets are rarely named.

I have found all the registration offices in the south Wales area to be very helpful so it's definitely worth trying Merthyr again. Good luck.

Edited to add - sadly i have found quite a few births not registered in the early days.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 17 September 17 16:09 BST (UK) »
I got the impression that they had searched more than the indexes when they replied previously, although I may well be wrong.  Are the indexes likely to include date of birth, as this is what they said they had checked?

From my experience the local offices will look at the actual entries to check the facts (parents, spouse, address, occupation, informant etc depending on event) before you order the certificate.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 17 September 17 16:51 BST (UK) »
I don't have Maria's birth certificate but her 1932 death certificate (as Maria Davies) gives her birthplace as Aberdare and names her parents as Henry T Morgan and Ann Davies. 

In 1871 Henry, Ann & Maria are still in Aberdare - RG10/5406/43/31.  They have another daughter - Gwenllian - later that same year, before moving to Stockton, Durham. 

Son James is born in Stockton in 1873 (recorded as Morgans), followed by Elizabeth Ann (1875) and Margaret (1878).  Henry left for America in Nov 1879 and Ann gave birth to another son, Thomas Henry:

14 Apr 1880, 2 Cambridge St, Stockton,
Thomas Henry - Father: Henry Morgan, Puddler, Mother: Ann Morgan formerly Davies

In 1881 Ann & the children are at 2 Cambridge St with a lodger named Edwin Howells, also a Puddler from Wales.  RG11/4896/86/47.  In 1851 & 1861 Edwin is in Aberdare with parents William, a tailor, and Mary.

Although Henry is in America, Ann remains at Cambridge St and continues to have children:
1883 - David John
1885 - Edwin (my GG Grandfather). Father named as Edwin Morgan, Iron Puddler
1888 - George. Father named as Henry Morgan, Iron Puddler

On 31 Dec 1887 Henry T Morgan bigamously marries Elizabeth Williams in Cuyahoga, Cleveland, Ohio, and in Sept 1890 Maria arrives in America aboard the British Princess.  Her destination is Cleveland, Ohio, to a parent.

I have several US & UK documents, but the one that links all of the family is the 1914 obituary of youngest son George which, amongst other things, mentions his mother Ann & half-sister Maria in Cleveland Ohio, half-brother James in Brilliant Ohio, half-sister Gwen & brother Edwin in Stockton, and half-brother Thomas in Aberaman.

However.... I've just noticed something that might just tie back to the possible Thomas family connection.  When James & his wife Edith (Edwards) emigrate in 1903 their destination is a relative, W Thomas at Shanesville, so I definitely need to check that one out further.

PS Dierdre, thanks for that info, I'm feeling a little more hopeful!
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 15 October 17 02:42 BST (UK) »
Well I finally have the correct birth certificate  ;D

Isobel you were spot on with the Apr-Jun 1848 mmn Thomas, as although her DoB was actually 29 Feb, the birth wasn't registered until 10 April - parents James Davis & Gwenllian Thomas.  I've now sent off for the 1844 marriage you suggested, and also the birth certificate for Elizabeth Davis.

I have to say, once I got the correct register office (Pontypridd) they were extremely helpful, so the extra 75p over & above the GRO was well worth it. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 15 October 17 09:16 BST (UK) »
Good news 😀 Pontypridd is one of the most helpful I've contacted.