Author Topic: Requesting registrar to search for a birth  (Read 4708 times)

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting registrar to search for a birth
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 September 17 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hmm I find it interesting that she is listed as a Relative Lodger.  To me that would imply that she is related to the head of the household, Ann Jenkins.

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 September 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
Wivenhoe, the marriage details are as follows:

3 Dec 1868, Register Office, Merthyr Tydfil
Henry Morgan 23 Bachelor, Puddler, Dean Street Aberdare. Father: Thomas Morgan, Forge Agent(?)
Ann Davies 20 Spinster, Pond St Aberdare.  Father: James Davies (deceased), Collier
Witnesses: Thomas Morgan & David Williams.

Added: All signed X

I did request a search via the GRO of all Ann Davies & Davis with fathers name James but drew a blank.

On her death certificate (Ohio 1923) her father is named as James Nichlos.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 September 17 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hmm I find it interesting that she is listed as a Relative Lodger.  To me that would imply that she is related to the head of the household, Ann Jenkins.

Ann Jenkins was formerly Thomas, but I haven't been able to make the link to a Davis or Davies. Still working on it but not getting very far!
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 September 17 00:32 BST (UK) »
  I've contacted the Register Office for the area and they did a cursory search based on the day/month of birth, but for 1847 only, and did not find a match.  However they also said that no births were illegitimate whereas the GRO index implies that at least one was.

Hi,
Firstly  you have my sympathies with a name like Ann Davis in Wales ,  my own gg grandmother was called Ann Davies ,I had hell of a job tracing her.

Regarding the above quote, what do you mean by the GRO indexes indicate there was at least one that appears to be illegitimate?  If it is showing the mother's name as Davis it could mean that her mother married another Davis, which is all too common with these surnames. I have an Evans marrying an Evans, to look at the childrens births in the indexes  one may mistakenly think that they are illegitimate.

Regarding her death cert, if you are certain that you have the right one, could the informant have got it wrong?
Kind Regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 September 17 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Cell

The GRO indexes have an Anne Davis born Merthyr Tydfil RD in 1847 with a dash where the MMN would normally be, indicating illegitimacy.  As this was in the Jan-Mar quarter and I have a possible DoB of 2 March I was quite hopeful, but the register office replied that they had checked all spellings for forename & surname and there were no illegitimate births.

I'm certain that the death certificate is her as her daughter was the informant and the address and spouse also match. However, I'm less confident about the other information as the age is wrong, but as Ann named James as her father at marriage and also gave her first son this name I think the father's details will probably be somewhere near the truth.

The death certificate is here if anyone wants to take a look (you need to sign in & its image 1773).

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kq6/

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 September 17 07:25 BST (UK) »
General search made by applicant - £18 (not quite sure what this means). 

That means you can go to the office and look through the registrar's indexes (not the registers) yourself - the charge covers  6 hours access and is something most offices don't like to publicise these days.

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 September 17 07:53 BST (UK) »
Have you tried using David as the surname? I have Glamorgan ancestors who used David/Davies interchangeably.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 September 17 13:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information Antony.  Angelfish, yes, I've tried searching under David but still can't identify her.  What I wouldn't give to be able to search the actual registers in person......

I've put together a letter begging the Merthyr Tydfil register office for help and offering to pay extra for their time, so I guess it's just fingers crossed now until I hear back from them.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 September 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
As per your reply #4, did you include a cheque for either £15 or £20 pounds?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea