Author Topic: Alexander Gordon Brown. He would have been my uncle  (Read 1705 times)

Offline darla5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Gordon Brown. He would have been my uncle
« on: Thursday 14 September 17 23:26 BST (UK) »
Trying to get info on Alexander Gordon Brown. His mother was Margaret McKail Brown and he was born illigitemately in 1902. Mother married 1915 to John Caughey. Not sure if the boy lived with them. She died 1962 aged 80. He may have died in san francisco in 1959. Sorry.  Should have said he was born in Scotland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Gordon Brown. He would have been my uncle
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 September 17 00:19 BST (UK) »
Crew List
West Hesseltine sailed from Port Allen, Hawaii to San Francisco, California, arriving 3 June 1920.  On board was:
Alexander Gordon Brown, position in ship's company - O.S., "shipped or engage" - Norfolk, Virginia.  He could read, he was age 19, white, British

So, if this person was your Alexander, he apparently was in the states by March 1920.

PS  Welcome to RootsChat.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 September 17 03:04 BST (UK) »
The San Francisco library does free obituary look-ups, so you might want to try that if nothing definitive can be found.  https://sfpl.org/?pg=2000049301

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 September 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
There is:

Alexander Gordon Brown
 in the Texas, Naturalization Records, 1865-1991
VIEW Texas, Naturalization Records, 1865-1991
Add Alternative Information
Report issue
Name:   Alexander Gordon Brown
Petition Age:   18
Relation to Head:   Self (Head)
Record Type:   Petition
Birth Date:   17 Mar 1902
Birth Place:   Dremarton, Scotland
Petition Date:   17 Dec 1920
Petition Place:   San Antonio, Texas, USA
Court District:   Western District of Texas
Relatives:   
Name
Alexander Gordon Brown

Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 September 17 20:38 BST (UK) »
Rosinish, thank you for including the link.

RayDen, some additional information is on the other thread.  :)  But, thank you for looking, as I've not been able to find anything yet, and I live in Northern California.  ::)  ;)  Perhaps one of us can uncover something.

shellyesq, thank you for including the link.  I hadn't thought of that.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 September 17 20:48 BST (UK) »
Last night, I tried to find something helpful, using the following link, but as of now, I've been unable to come up with anything:
http://www.sfgenealogy.com/sf/sfdata.htm

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 September 17 22:05 BST (UK) »
The petition for naturalization says he was a soldier in the US Army and living at Kelly Field, Texas.  His place of birth looks like it could be Dumbarton, but the writing is a bit sloppy.  He was not married and had no children.  It looks like he entered the US on 4 Mar. 1920 and entered the US Army on 23 Jun. 1920.  Normally, he would have had to be in the US for 5 years before petitioning, but the law was changed for soldiers in 1918 in connection with WWI.  http://www.genealogy.com/articles/over/heard052500.html

There is a passenger list for the West Hesseltine from Port Allen, Hawaii to San Francisco, arriving 3 Jun. 1920 with an Alexander Gordon Brown, age 19, British, who was among the aliens employed as a crew member.  His position in the ship's company was O.S.  Under shipped or engaged, it says 16 Mar. 1920 in Norfolk, Virginia. 

Offline darla5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 September 17 19:04 BST (UK) »
There is no Dremarton in Scotland. It's Dumbarton. Amazing how places get lost in translation.  ;D