Author Topic: Quarry, James and Angelica Browne of Inchigeelagh Civil Parish  (Read 912 times)

Offline cavbeck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quarry, James and Angelica Browne of Inchigeelagh Civil Parish
« on: Friday 15 September 17 01:56 BST (UK) »
I am researching QUARRY[/b], James (c1806-1874) and his wife Angelica BROWN(E) QUARRY (c1809-1985), married at Inchigeelagh RC Parish 02 Aug 1827.
James was likely a native of Mossgrove Townland, Templemartin Parish and may have been related to William QUARRY, Benjamin QUARRY, and James QUARRY of the same Parish.
James and Angelica had 2 children born in Ireland, William Brown(e), b1830 (d 1912, Windsor, Ontario) and Henry Brown(e), b1833 (died London, Ontario) before emigrating to Canada in 1834. James and Angelica may have left their young sons with family in Ireland when they emigrated.
The following children were born in Canada: Mary Ann (Sr. Martha), b 1833, Pickering Twp., died 1873, Memphis, Tennessee, US; Benjamin, b 1838, Pickering Twp., died 1915, London, Ontario; James Joseph, b 1839, Pickering Twp., died 1869, Mt. Carmel, Ontario; John Gregory, b 1842, Pickering Twp., died 1923, Parkhill, Ontario; Martha E. b 1844, died 1902 Memphis, Tennessee.
In Canada, the family first settled in Pickering Twp., east of Toronto and in 1853, resettled in Mt. Carmel, McGillivray Twp., Middlesex Co., Upper Canada (Ontario). James and Angelica both died in Mt. Carmel and were buried in Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Catholic cemetery.
If anyone else is researching members of these families (Quarry & Browne) please let me know. Thanks.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Quarry, James and Angelica Browne of Inchigeelagh Civil Parish
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 September 17 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hello & welcome to rootschat. Are you familiar with the available irish resources for research into your family?
www.nationalarchives.ie  Tithe Applotment records has a James Quarry in Mossglove Templemartin Co Cork in 1833 also a William Quarry in same townland (Mossglove) & Parish.

Griffiths Valuation records also has a William & Benjamin Quarry in Templemartin in 1851.

I am guessing you are familiar with www.irishgenealogy.ie as you state the marriage for James & Angela? & the baptisms of their 2 sons which show on church records.  The Civil records on this site has several entries for Quarry i.e Births/Marriages/Deaths.Civil reg from 1864 in Ireland.
It shows a death for a John Quarry in 1885 age 78yrs so born c. 1807 (maybe brother to James)
Also national archives site has some records cork for Quarry surname. rgds

Offline cavbeck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 September 17 01:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am just getting started on the Irish research so gaining some familiarity with the records online. I have seen the land records for Inchigeelagh (Browne) & Mossgrove (Quarry) & have found others connected to the Quarrys in Canada also from Mossgrove or Templemartin. I think the family originally was among the planter population in Bandon and may well have been Protestant English. The name is first recorded in Bandon in abt. 1620.
At this early stage in my research it is encouraging to know that I am on the right track.
At this stage, I think I have to try and reconstruct each of the Quarry families In the region to try and work out who is related to who, if possible. Mercifully, it is not a really common surname, although it appears that given names repeat frequently.
If you find anything else, I certainly would appreciate hearing about it.
Again, thanks for the info.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 September 17 08:05 BST (UK) »
https://www.ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegisters/PARISHREGISTERS.pdf

Bandon Cork see Ballymodan and Kilbrogan

Bandon  Kilbrogan Cork Cork B 1752-1973    D 1753-1969     M 1754-1992
Ballymodan Cork Cork           B 1695-1756    D 1695-1996     M 1695-1878

Microfilm copy available in the Reading Room of the NAI only. See card index and bound diocesan lists for further details. Note the dates of registers covered by the films may not be those of the originals as recorded by Miss Griffith, nor may they be the same dates as for those registers now deposited in the RCB Library. In most instances no filming was undertaken of 20th-century registers
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 September 17 08:07 BST (UK) »
Templemartin  Cork B 1806-1879 D 1808-1845   M1810-1879

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 September 17 08:34 BST (UK) »
http://irishdeedsindex.net/mem.php?memorial=77842

2 Feb 1741   QUARRY   John   of   late Temple Martin, co Cork   Yeoman

Offline cavbeck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
This is great. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I appreciate your time. This is very encouraging.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 11:15 BST (UK) »
In the 1821 Parish Census of Inchegeela the following entry
Townland Carrigleigh
Angel Brown age 50 Farm 25 acres
John Brown Son a. 19yrs
Anne Brown Daughter a. 21yrs
Angel Brown a. 17 yrs daughter