Author Topic: The 2 or 3 RC Parishes Almost Surrounded By Glanworth & Ballindangan ?  (Read 3618 times)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
Re: The 2 or 3 RC Dioceses Almost Surrounded By Glanworth & Ballindangan ?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 September 17 13:19 BST (UK) »
If an RC parish covers two non-contiguous areas, both areas are highlighted in pinky-red when you select the parish on the NLI RC marish map, e.g. Clonmel St. Mary's as in the attached screen capture.

So the yellow area of the smiley face in my original picture doesn't appear to be covered by Glountane RC parish (it's not higlighted when I select the Glountane parish)
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 September 17 13:31 BST (UK) »
I've just noticed that there are a couple of other areas on the NLI RC Parish map that don't contain a parish name, but which contain two or more little blue circles with a cross inside, each of which represents a different RC parish. E.g. around Cork city there's an area with five RC parishes - St Marys, St Patricks, Ss Peter and Paul, St Finbar South, and Blackrock.

So within that area (green on the attached screen capture) which parts are in which of those five parishes ?

The reference to Glountane from Irish Ancestors was possibly a red herring - sothe same question probably applies to the original Kilpadder/Kilshannig yellow smiley area - which parts of the yellowarea are covered by Kilpadder RC parish, and which by Kilshannig RC parish ?)

Just had a thought - surely it's not one RC church =1 RC parish ??
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 September 17 13:38 BST (UK) »
Sinann "This register is bound into Glantane register" - maybe physically, as in bookbinding ?
But surely that would only be done if Kilshannig RC parish is somehow administratively related to Glountane RC Parish, despite being physically separatedby three or four other parishes?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 September 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
I had to go out.
I think the Kilshannig RC and Kilpadder RC are connected in some way the parish of RC Glounthane because the RC Glounthane has the Civil Parishes of Kilsainnig and Balldeloughy included in it but there is an error linking RC Kilshannig and RC Kilpadder parishes to Kilshannig Civil Parish and they should in fact be link to Balldeloughy Civil Parish.
Ideally I would like to find townland names in RC Kilshannig and RC Kilpadder and see what Civil Parish they are it, and contact John Greaham, he has responded well to questions in the past.

I'm having one of those anything that can go wrong will go wrong days so got to go again.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 September 17 14:31 BST (UK) »
Kilshannig Civil Parish  ... 63 townlands   https://www.logainm.ie/en/s?txt=in:636&cat=BF

Kilgarvan Civil Parish  ...  58 townlands   https://www.logainm.ie/en/s?txt=in:1088&cat=BF

Ballydeloughy   5 townlands   https://www.logainm.ie/en/s?txt=in:704&cat=BF

Co Cork   253 Civil Parishes   https://www.logainm.ie/en/s?txt=in:100010&cat=PAR
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 September 17 15:59 BST (UK) »
For me the civil parishes are an extra layer of confusion (apart from the historical reason for the civil parish of Kilshannig being so named) - can we forget about them for the time being since my question now is specifically about the Kilshannig RC Parish on the NLI map ?

I'm still puzzled about Kilshannig RC Parish on the NLI map. Why does this small parcel of land up near Glanworth & Ballindangan appear to contain the RC parish of Kilshannig, when the historical (pre-reformation) RC Parish of Kilshannig was just south-west of Mallow (and is now the RC Parish of Glountane) ?

I just found a possible Killshannig association with the Glanworth/Mitchelstown area - http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/northcorkcounty/grovewhitenotes/kanturktowntoknocknanuss/ - select the 'Book 3: Pages 327 to 338(2,366KB) ' link which is Kilshannig (civil, I assume) parish. The second paragraph saysn "Regarding the derivation of the name of this parish, Dr. Henry F. Berry, I.S.O., writes:—"The name is derived from Cill-Seannaigh, the church of Seannach, a saint who appears to have also been commemorated in Kilshannig, near Rathcormack, and Kilshanny, near Mitchelstown, both in the County of Cork." Enter 'Kilshanny, Cork, Ireland' into Google Maps and it's just east of Mitchelstown.

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The 2 or 3 RC Parishes Almost Surrounded By Glanworth & Ballindangan ?
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 September 17 16:53 BST (UK) »
If I go to http://www.swilson.info/rcparishcoordsrch.php, put the search marker on the N73 between Kildorrery and Mitchelstown, adjust the zoom, and hit Start Search, I get churches for all the expected RC parishes in that area (as shown on the NLI map - bearing in mind the alternate parish names) except there's not a single church shown as Kilpadder, Kilshannig, or Glountane RC parish.

Note: on the NLI help page http://registers.nli.ie/help under 'Why are some parishes not represented on the map?' it says "The map is derived from the Catholic parish maps on John Grenham’s Irish Ancestors site..."

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 September 17 17:16 BST (UK) »
Really confused now. There are two Kilpadder townlands (north and south) just west of Mallow (yes, in Kilshannig civil parish), and two Kilshannig townlands (upper and lower) near Rathcormac, in Rathcormack civil parish. But nothing of those names (except maybe the Kilshanny mentioned earlier in Grove White Notes) near Mitchelstown.

However, here http://corkgen.org/publicgenealogy/cork/placesalmanac/mitchelstown/ I found (about RC parishes) "Glantane appears to be in two pieces - one can read the Irish Times website that way. The big part is well further west of Mitchelstown by Mourneabbey; the smaller piece is bundled with Kilpadder and Kilshannig by Mitchelstown R.C. parish. Records for all these church sites are on film 5008."

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 September 17 18:19 BST (UK) »
No townlands listed in either of those registers except when you get to the very end of Kilpadder and those townlands are down by Mallow in the Civil Parish of Kilshannig but you can see on the map that Ballydeloughy is where the smiley area is
https://www.johngrenham.com/c_parish/c_parish_main.php?civilparishid=48&county=Cork&civilparish=Ballydeloughy&CountyMap=

while Kilshannig Civil Parish is where Glountane RC Parish is, in fact the Civil Parish and the RC Parish seem to be exactly the same.

As none of the three parishes seem tell you the townland for anyone it's impossible to tell where anyone came from, down by Mallow or up by the smiley.