Author Topic: Abbreviations after person's name  (Read 3207 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abbreviations after person's name
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 September 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
R.V.S., A.A.C.L., A.P.S.L. Sydney

Sydney as in Australia? Did he go abroad at some point?

From the Kelly's Directory of Reading, 1914
Biddles William Byron R.V.S., A.A.C.L., A.P.S.L. veterinary surgeon, Sydney lodge, 40 Prospect Street; T.N. 102 i.e. Telephone Number 102

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 September 17 16:56 BST (UK) »
From the Berkshire Chronicle - Saturday 01 April 1882
SYDNEY LODGE, OXFORD ROAD TO BE LET, with immediate possession, a DETACHED VILLA RESIDENCE, well situate on rising ground, near the Oxford Road, Reading.

Sydney Lodge was on Prospect Street see https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/470479/173259/13/100071
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nese

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 September 17 00:49 BST (UK) »
So much information.  You people are wonderful. 
Thanks Groom and John915.  No he did not come to Australia.  I searched that possibility too in case he had qualifications here.  Also searched every list I could find both here and UK for the letters he used after his name.
  However, I should have realised that what looked like 1o was in fact lo and standing for lodge as that is part of my daughter's address in UK.  I see, Stan, that you have the full address and have found the next year's Kelly's register.  I didn't even realise that T.N. meant telephone number.  Thanks for the link to the map.
I was quite sure that the VS would stand for Vet.Surg. however could not figure out the R.  Register now makes perfect sense.  My 'googling' skills will need upgrading - I could not find anything about vets during that time period. 
Thanks KGarrad for that further info.

Oh, how happy I am that I don't have to have my teeth drilled by the man who looks after my dog. I guess if they are only pulling teeth there is not much difference between ours and an animal's.
The TV show about James Herriott shown in Oz was called "All Creatures Great and Small" and we watched regularly.  Yes Rena, great stories. Thanks for the link carlineric.

goldie61, not my site but looks extremely interesting.  Thank you.  A reminder to search on a name instead of relying on ancestry.  (Found an aunt mentioned on WDYTYA by googling her name, which was not remotely unique, and found the whole family that was eluding me.)  Must do it more often.

William was orphaned by the time he was 10. He was a druggist's apprentice at age 20. Looks like he must have had some good mentors.

Thanks, all.  At least RVS is solved. Now to search for the others.  And to investigate those links.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 September 17 07:19 BST (UK) »
My family were all vet's throughout most of the 1800's ;D
So, I have done some research previously, on the occupation.

The Royal College will (for a fee) search their records for you.
My search didn't reveal much, however. ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 September 17 18:18 BST (UK) »
I'm stumped, so do hope somebody can come up with the meanings of the abbreviations; A.A.C.L., A.P.S.L

Taking on boad that the ancestor gave himself the title of "Druggist", I wondered if either of the "A"s could be "Associate (of)" and/or "Apothecary".  I did also wonder if the "P" could be Pharmacist".

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 September 17 18:56 BST (UK) »
I'm stumped, so do hope somebody can come up with the meanings of the abbreviations; A.A.C.L., A.P.S.L

Taking on boad that the ancestor gave himself the title of "Druggist", I wondered if either of the "A"s could be "Associate (of)" and/or "Apothecary".  I did also wonder if the "P" could be Pharmacist".

Obviously either not very common or not used now as nothing comes up in Google.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 September 17 19:36 BST (UK) »
Building on what Rena said and from my own grandfather being first Assistant Chemist then Member of Pharmaceutical Society

I think A P S is Associate of the Pharmaceutical Society but not sure what the L would stand for - London? Licensed?

A A C possibly Assistant Apothercary and Chemist but again not sure what L might be.

Jan

ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 September 17 19:45 BST (UK) »
Building on what Rena said and from my own grandfather being first Assistant Chemist then Member of Pharmaceutical Society

I think A P S is Associate of the Pharmaceutical Society but not sure what the L would stand for - London? Licensed?

A A C possibly Assistant Apothercary and Chemist but again not sure what L might be.

Jan

That looks very possible - look at this  https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=nhoUAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA617&lpg=PA617&dq=Associate+of+the+Pharmaceutical+Society+London&source=bl&ots=Pe2auGAqnE&sig=34cCHFVoCZb3AEl9PDQ29WZNojs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj30_P3rarWAhWXHsAKHYceB_0Q6AEIYzAJ#v=onepage&q=Associate%20of%20the%20Pharmaceutical%20Society%20London&f=false
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 September 17 19:55 BST (UK) »