Author Topic: derbyshire records on ancestry  (Read 9303 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: derbyshire records on ancestry
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 17 September 17 09:15 BST (UK) »
Only handy if one has an Ancestry account. No good at all if one has signed up to FindMyPast.

It also works the other way round, when new collections are added to FindMyPast and one only has an account with Ancestry  :o
Yes - which is why UK record offices should not enter into exclusive contracts with any one but make records available through all. Let the companies compete on service levels and technical expertise, not on what UK owned records they offer.

The exclusive contracts are only "short term" to allow the internet company time to recoup the costs in scanning and/or transcribing the records.
When we are talking about large datasets these costs are quite heavy even for large companies and they need to be able to recoup them relatively quickly, otherwise few/no records would be online.

This has been the model since the 1911 census became available online.

Cheers
Guy

PS Or perhaps even the 1901 Census ;)
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 September 17 06:59 BST (UK) »
The exclusive contracts are only "short term" to allow the internet company time to recoup the costs in scanning and/or transcribing the records.
When we are talking about large datasets these costs are quite heavy even for large companies and they need to be able to recoup them relatively quickly, otherwise few/no records would be online.

Cheers
Guy

I appreciate the costs, Guy. However, in the case of Derbyshire the digitising had already taken place. The database/images were already available at Matlock and (albeit unknown to Derbyshire CRO) via Family Search.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 18 September 17 09:46 BST (UK) »
In the case of Derbyshire the digitising had already taken place. The database/images were already available at Matlock and (albeit unknown to Derbyshire CRO) via Family Search.

I wonder how they covered the cost?

ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 18 September 17 11:05 BST (UK) »

Cheers
Guy

I appreciate the costs, Guy. However, in the case of Derbyshire the digitising had already taken place. The database/images were already available at Matlock and (albeit unknown to Derbyshire CRO) via Family Search.

The familysearch digitisation is/was part of their ongoing digitisation of all their microfilm holdings.
I have not accessed the Ancestry dataset but hope they were digitised from the registers rather than the microfilms (there is often a big difference in quality).

Do Ancestry have an esculvie contract with the Record Office as I know Findmypast put a selection of Derbyshire baptisms, marriage and burials online in 2011 but these may have been transcripts, I have not checked.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 18 September 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
Yes Guy, they are just transcripts on Find my Past and only for a limited number of parishes.

Jan
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Online GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 06:32 BST (UK) »
Do Ancestry have an esculvie contract with the Record Office as I know Findmypast put a selection of Derbyshire baptisms, marriage and burials online in 2011 but these may have been transcripts, I have not checked.

Cheers
Guy
Yes, it is exclusive "for a number of years", but no indication as to how many years that may be.

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 09:04 BST (UK) »

Cheers
Guy
Yes, it is exclusive "for a number of years", but no indication as to how many years that may be.

Perhaps it might be worth asking the reason and length of exclusivity.
Cheers
Guy

Online GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 06:46 BST (UK) »
Perhaps it might be worth asking the reason and length of exclusivity.
Cheers
Guy
As mentioned, I had some correspondence with Derbyshire CRO a few weeks ago about this. They cited the need for LAs to obtain new sources of income, saying finally "we undertook a lengthy and complex tender process for putting our parish registers online.  The tenders were assessed against a number of factors; Ancestry were the winners in that process, and hence were awarded the contract.".

I didn't ask how long as there seemed no point in prolonging correspondence which was going nowhere.

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 15:10 BST (UK) »
can someone let us know when this is done please ? (derbyshire records on ancestry)
Derbys - Hill, Atkins, Kirkland, Hutchinson, Hallam, Rose, Houseley, Astle.
Lancashire - Shaw, Greenwood, Fowler, Yates
Gloucester - Nethercott, Flight,
Suffolk - Easey, Stannard, Meadows, Mann, Turner, Juby
Warwicks - Atkins, Sumner, Mower, Howe.
Staffs - Finney, Kent, Corden, Chatterton