Author Topic: derbyshire records on ancestry  (Read 9295 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: derbyshire records on ancestry
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 30 September 17 13:36 BST (UK) »
I also note a couple of parishes I'm interested in are not included.

Winshill being one. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 30 September 17 16:43 BST (UK) »
Overall I wouldn't trust the search results yet, keep digging manually if a record you're expecting does not appear when you search.

Yes, I've had to do that for quite a few Wirksworth records.

ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 01 October 17 08:38 BST (UK) »
my problem is...... i cannot find on other sources records for people, being born, marrying and dieing - thomas hill and wife hester of mugginton for eg - yet theres plenty of births citing these as parents.

so if they dont appear on ancestry, is it because they are incorrectly loaded or dont they exist?
Derbys - Hill, Atkins, Kirkland, Hutchinson, Hallam, Rose, Houseley, Astle.
Lancashire - Shaw, Greenwood, Fowler, Yates
Gloucester - Nethercott, Flight,
Suffolk - Easey, Stannard, Meadows, Mann, Turner, Juby
Warwicks - Atkins, Sumner, Mower, Howe.
Staffs - Finney, Kent, Corden, Chatterton

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 01 October 17 13:18 BST (UK) »
I've seen a report on a Facebook group, today, of some glaring errors in the indexing provided by Ancestry. Examples are "Kirglai" instead of "Nicholai", "Huhelin" instead of "Gulielmi" and "Wechallin Ejus" instead of "Durneelee Willielmus".
I would recommend that any such errors found are reported to Derbyshire CRO, rather than Ancestry.
If Ancestry receives reports they may well correct them (why not, all the work has been done for them) but there is no incentive for them to spend money to institute a more general quality check (and the CRO may never even hear of it).
On the other hand if the CRO receives multiple reports then they should be able to bring pressure to bear upon Ancestry to bring the index up to the required standard.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 01 October 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
I've seen a report on a Facebook group, today, of some glaring errors in the indexing provided by If Ancestry receives reports they may well correct them (why not, all the work has been done for them) but there is no incentive for them to spend money to institute a more general quality check (and the CRO may never even hear of it).

Ancestry will just update the entries with the suggested alternatives, they do not and never have actually changed them completely.  I doubt somehow the Record Office would be interested, nothing as been done previously as this is an ongoing issue which also applies to Findmypast.  While I agree that the indexing leaves a lot to be desired at times, there is nothing to stop people playing around with the search and/or browsing the images.  Something that they would have to do if they went to the Record Office anyway.  If either Ancestry or Findmypast spent a lot more on indexing (which most likely would be needed to get improved indexes), there would more than likely be an big increase in subscription costs, something I doubt anyone wishes to see.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 01 October 17 15:13 BST (UK) »
  While I agree that the indexing leaves a lot to be desired at times, there is nothing to stop people playing around with the search and/or browsing the images.  Something that they would have to do if they went to the Record Office anyway.  If either Ancestry or Findmypast spent a lot more on indexing (which most likely would be needed to get improved indexes), there would more than likely be an big increase in subscription costs, something I doubt anyone wishes to see.

I actually enjoyed having to browse the records to find what I wanted. I would certainly rather do that from time to time than not be able to afford to access records at all.
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 01 October 17 18:52 BST (UK) »
seriously unimpressed.

i paid for a month to see how it goes, but initial impressions arent good. they dont stock wills i know exist, ive seen them on find my past, ive only seen 1 record from the derbyshire records office, all the others have no available image, they dont find some people i know are listed on other sites, and so far - they havnt found anything not on other sites.
Derbys - Hill, Atkins, Kirkland, Hutchinson, Hallam, Rose, Houseley, Astle.
Lancashire - Shaw, Greenwood, Fowler, Yates
Gloucester - Nethercott, Flight,
Suffolk - Easey, Stannard, Meadows, Mann, Turner, Juby
Warwicks - Atkins, Sumner, Mower, Howe.
Staffs - Finney, Kent, Corden, Chatterton

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 01 October 17 19:48 BST (UK) »
they dont stock wills i know exist, ive seen them on find my past, ive only seen 1 record from the derbyshire records office, all the others have no available image, they dont find some people i know are listed on other sites, and so far - they havnt found anything not on other sites.

Wills aren't included, they are only parish registers.

As for the search, well you have to play around with soundex or the use of *, or just browse the registers if you know the dates, even approximate, and location.  If you search Rootschat you will find numerous threads regarding the issues with the indexes on both Ancestry and Findmypast, and for that matter elsewhere.  Mistakes are made based on people's interpretation and their skill at reading the handwriting.  Yes its frustrating but its far better that the records are more easily available.  Its a matter of working with the sites and other indexes available to find what you are looking for.  That said, its always possible something doesn't exist anyway, there are gaps in many parish registers at various times for various reasons. 

As I said in my previous post, if they spent a lot more money on indexing, the subscriptions would most likely be much higher and people would complain about that.  At least they are now more easily accessible.  Ancestry isn't perfect, never has been, there are still registers missing from the London Metropolitan Archives collection which were released in 2009, you just have to accept this happens.  And Findmypast are no better, their Hertfordshire collection has masses missing and as yet they have done nothing about it and they were released a few years back.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 01 October 17 22:05 BST (UK) »
Wills - pre 1858 - are lodged with the Diocese.  There are a lot of Derbyshire parishes which came under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Lichfield.  Have you checked the holdings on FindMyPast of Lichfield wills under Staffordshire holdings.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY