Author Topic: derbyshire records on ancestry  (Read 9352 times)

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: derbyshire records on ancestry
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 September 17 17:43 BST (UK) »
Do they really mean "all their records"? I'd be very surprised. Maybe all their parish registers? Time will tell I suppose.

the guy told me 'everything they have at matlock'... i dunno, im only passing on the info.
Derbys - Hill, Atkins, Kirkland, Hutchinson, Hallam, Rose, Houseley, Astle.
Lancashire - Shaw, Greenwood, Fowler, Yates
Gloucester - Nethercott, Flight,
Suffolk - Easey, Stannard, Meadows, Mann, Turner, Juby
Warwicks - Atkins, Sumner, Mower, Howe.
Staffs - Finney, Kent, Corden, Chatterton

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 September 17 17:47 BST (UK) »
I imagine just parish registers, but there may be other stuff. Wills would be good :D

some wills are on find my past, unsure how comprehensive it is.

I suspect that the wills on FindMyPast are those within the jurisdiction of Lichfield Diocese.

You'll just have to wait and see how much of the Matlock information will be made available  :o
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 September 17 19:32 BST (UK) »
Only handy if one has an Ancestry account. No good at all if one has signed up to FindMyPast. I complained a few weeks ago that they should not contract exclusively with any one company as it excludes non-account holders.

Re earlier posts:
1) It is the reason why the images are no longer available to view on Family Search. When I enquired a few weeks ago I was told they should never have been on Family Search. LDS had no permission to hold them.
2) The Derbyshire wills at FindMyPast are the ones held at Lichfield.

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 September 17 07:39 BST (UK) »
Only handy if one has an Ancestry account. No good at all if one has signed up to FindMyPast.

true, and im on find my past, not on ancestry.... im not sure what FindMyPast has that ancestry doesnt, but ill get ancestry even if its for only a few months - its cheaper and more handy then travelling to matlock.

i might cancel find my past if i find ancestry is better.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 September 17 08:12 BST (UK) »
Only handy if one has an Ancestry account. No good at all if one has signed up to FindMyPast.

It also works the other way round, when new collections are added to FindMyPast and one only has an account with Ancestry  :o

I've got both, so it doesn't affect me  :D :D  My area of research is Yorkshire - Ancestry has West Riding parish records, FindMyPast has BT's for the whole of Yorkshire, plus East and North Ridings.

And, in any case, it's so much easier than having to visit umpteen Record Offices.  Most libraries have access to one or the other sites.

Let's be positive about the release of records via these sites.   ;)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 September 17 08:39 BST (UK) »
1) It is the reason why the images are no longer available to view on Family Search. When I enquired a few weeks ago I was told they should never have been on Family Search. LDS had no permission to hold them.

I think you'll find that Familysearch didn't have permission to make them publically available on the web.  The fact they have copies on microfilm would be they had permission to hold them and make them available through their Family History Centres, something that obviously continues with the digital versions being restricted to viewing through the FHCs.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 September 17 16:05 BST (UK) »
I'm with "Ancestry" - perhaps we all ought to "buddy-up", one with an Ancestry account, and a partner with F.M.P, and between us we might manage to get the fullest possible story!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 September 17 07:32 BST (UK) »

It also works the other way round, when new collections are added to FindMyPast and one only has an account with Ancestry  :o
Yes - which is why UK record offices should not enter into exclusive contracts with any one but make records available through all. Let the companies compete on service levels and technical expertise, not on what UK owned records they offer.

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 September 17 08:18 BST (UK) »
I'm with "Ancestry" - perhaps we all ought to "buddy-up", one with an Ancestry account, and a partner with F.M.P, and between us we might manage to get the fullest possible story!

is that legal?