Author Topic: The Clews family of Stoke on Trent  (Read 4520 times)

Offline Hhistorynut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Clews family of Stoke on Trent
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi ThumperGT. Further to other info have looked up censuses on FindMyPast for George & Edwin and found as follows (sorry if already have):
1837 Edwin Clewes married Sarah Taylor at Bucknall St Mary's
1841 Edwin 'Clowes' at Bleak Hill Burslem with Sarah & William
1851 Edwin& George 'Clewes' at Bleak Hill, now Rushton Grange, Wolstanton. Edwin mould maker.
1861 Edwin&George 'Clowes' at 1 stAnn street, Hanley
1871 Edwin 'Clowes' Mould maker at 1 stAnn St Hanley
1871 George 'Clewes' Harriet&Ada at 40 Bedford St next to Harriet's parents Thomas & Hannah Swinnerton at no42 Bedford St
Regards, Hhistorynut

Offline ThumperGT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Burrowing into my family history
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 18:13 GMT (UK) »
That all tallies up with what we'd uncovered. Just be aware that there's another George Clews, also born January 1842, but in Wolstanton, to a father George and mother Edna Lycett. They are easily mixed, as the birthdates are almost identical. The George Clews you want was born in Burslem.
Researching Walton, Agar, Boyes, Kirk and Potts families in East Yorkshire and Cheshire. Also offer look-up and research for North, Middle and Steeple Aston in Oxfordshire.

Offline Hhistorynut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 December 17 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes they all say born Burslem and are when George was living either with father Edwin or wife Harriet whom it had asserted was Edwin's son. I did note Burslem & Wolstanton were put together in the early censuses, in the title of the area covered which might add to confusion but the relatives are right. Regards :)

Offline Sarah Morris Armer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 February 18 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have only just found this site and haven’t even started on my family tree yet, but this thread caught my eye.
My fathers grandmother was Rosa Clews( clewes/clowes) from Odd Rode in Cheshire, she married a Henry MORRIS.
Both were from boat families Cheshire/ Staffordshire area and worked on the canals.
Don’t know if there is any link... just thought I would add.
There seems to be many variations of the surname Clews/ Clewes/ Clowes.... are they all very different families?

Offline ThumperGT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Burrowing into my family history
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 February 18 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah, and thanks for the post.

Firstly, I don't (yet) think there's a link between the Clews family that I'm researching, and yours. All 'my' Clews were involved in the ceramics trade - either working in the potteries, or actually as manufacturers. However, there's no reason why there couldn't be a link somewhere, as Stoke was at the heart of the waterways revolution in the 18th century, and I have found references to Clews as boatmen in cuttings from the Staffordshire Sentinel. Try a search on the British Newspaper Archive. The search alone costs nothing and can often be enough.

As for the spelling, this varies enormously. The Census returns from 1841 through to 1901 were filled out by the collecting officers, mainly because most of the population at that time was illiterate, and couldn't be expected to complete the forms themselves. Only since the 1911 census have householders been expected to do the form-filling themselves. This has meant a significant variation in spelling for unusual surnames, and Clews qualifies.

I have certainly found the same person with the surname spelled differently at different census periods. Clews seems to have been widely adopted by the late 19th century, but Clewes was very common in earlier periods, and Clowes also. I've found it necessary to search for all three, and found one return for a Clews where the spelling was Clays. If the person had a strong regional accent, then the census officer had to guess!

Not sure if that's much of a help!
Researching Walton, Agar, Boyes, Kirk and Potts families in East Yorkshire and Cheshire. Also offer look-up and research for North, Middle and Steeple Aston in Oxfordshire.

Offline Sarah Morris Armer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 February 18 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that is most helpful actually as I’m fairly new to this and don’t really know where to start. I will have a root around and see if I can find a starting point somewhere.
I’m guessing that spellings varied quite a lot back then due to people not being great readers and writers.
Thanks for the info