Author Topic: Passenger lists mid 1800's.  (Read 3770 times)

Offline kiwigeoff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Passenger lists mid 1800's.
« on: Friday 15 September 17 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hello all.
My gg grandfather's eldest daughter, Mary Hannah Ogden married John Walmsley in 1860. She was born in 1842 in Manchester. In the 1861 census she was aged 19, married, and a boarder, and John was married but living with his parents. A daughter, Mary Alice, was born 1863 and lived only 2 years. The name "John Walmsley" is very common but he seems to be a boarder and married in 71,81 and 91 if it is him. Of Mary Hannah there is no record thereafter. I am as certain as I can be that there are no marriage, death or census records for her thereafter. I would really like to discover what happened to her. The 2 possibilities are a move overseas, possibly with John, or she found an alternative man and adopted his name.
Is there anybody with experience and access to passenger lists who could check for me please?
I have previously posted this subject on the LostCousins forum without success.
Any assistance would really be appreciated.
Thanks.
kiwigeoff.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger lists mid 1800's.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 September 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
There are no passenger lists, in the UK dating before 1890.
The Board of Trade didn't think them worth keeping! ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 September 17 11:39 BST (UK) »
There are UK Outward Passenger Lists from 1890 to 1960 but mainly on subscription sites.  At the moment I am not coming across anything for John/Mary Walmsley travelling together - New York or Canada.  Those early passenger lists would only give name, age, sex, native country, baggage, occupation - sometimes not enough to positively identify anyone, especially when they travel separately - although this couple may have travelled together.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline kiwigeoff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 September 17 22:55 BST (UK) »
Thankyou KGarrad and Sandra for your posts.
I was aware of the 1890-1960 records, my wife and I actually feature ourselves travelling to New Zealand as a young married couple. Must be getting old when you appear in genealogy records.
Some years ago whilst searching for a Matilda Ogden born from memory c.1820, who would have been Mary Hannah's auntie, I was pursuing two separate Matilda's, one with a child born in Russia and one whose husband had a child born in New Orleans. It seems that they were married in Manchester, had a baby girl and sailed from the UK early in the 1840,s. I found them traveling as John Ogden, Mrs Ogden and infant female.John then appears back in the UK minus wife and baby but with a daughter born in New Orleans. Unfortunately, for the life of me I cannot remember how I located the passenger lists.Anyway, I was able to eliminate both Matilda's and the name had been mistranscribed from "Martha".
Thanks again.
kiwigeoff.

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 September 20 20:02 BST (UK) »
There are no passenger lists, in the UK dating before 1890.
The Board of Trade didn't think them worth keeping! ::)

That's sad. All the passenger shipping that went out of Liverpool to India and China in the early years of steam after Suez opened. What a shame that there's nothing left. Blue Funnel Line and P&O carried a lot of passengers in that 1870-1890 era
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley