Author Topic: Davies gravestone  (Read 1929 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Davies gravestone
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 September 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
That's why we've asked for this to be moved to the South Africa board.  I know for a fact that one of the regular contributors lives in Durban  ;D
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 September 17 11:07 BST (UK) »

Do you know if her maiden name was Hodgson?? and was she born in England? Spouse Francis Henry Davies??

Sue
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline JosephSC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 September 17 11:52 BST (UK) »
That is absolutely correct.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 September 17 12:16 BST (UK) »
Ok

Then this would be the Estate File for her, unfortunately the online ones only go up to 1950 or there abouts, so I can't have a look at it for you.This would have to be obtained from the archives in Pietermaritzburg.  She died in 1972 in Natal and her husband in 1974, his estate number is also there.

DEPOT     NAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MSCE                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 959/1972                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          DAVIES, HELEN PINDER. (BORN HODGSON). BORN IN ENGLAND. S/SP FRANCIS   
           HENRY DAVIES. SINCE DECEASED ESTATE NO. 357/1974. DECEASED ESTATE.   
STARTING  19720000                                                             
ENDING    19720000     

This is his Estate File entry also held at the Pietermaritzburg Archives.

DEPOT     NAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MSCE                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 357/1974                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          DAVIES, FRANCIS HENRY. BORN IN CHISWICK, UNITED KINGDOM. PREDECEASED 
           SPOUSE DAVIES, HELEN PINDLER. (BORN HODGSON). ESTATE NO. 959/1972.   
           DECEASED ESTATE.                                                     
STARTING  19740000                                                             
ENDING    19740000     

If you want to order a copy of the Death Notice, which should be in the file, you can do it through www.eggsa.org, they have a very reasonable ordering service. 

The Death Notice if filled in correctly correctly can give you a lot of valuable information, but it will give her place and date of death.  It can also list parents, spouse/s and children if filled in properly.

I can't find a gravestone for either of them, but the site www.eggsa.org has a lot of gravestone images and new ones get added all the time.

Hope this helps a little

Sue
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline JosephSC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 September 17 12:31 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that information.  Much appreciated.

Question:  Is there a cost for the death notice?

Strange that there is no longer a gravestone.  I know there was because I remember going to put flowers there.  Their other daughter (my aunt) was buried in the same plot in September 1994 (died end August).  Her name Joyce Marion Davies.  What would have happened to the gravestone?  My husband's father George Joseph still has his gravestone and he died March 1976.  We obtained an Ancestral Visa due to our grandparents UK birth.

I am trying to locate details of our ancestors and find that many of them are not available on FamilySearch.org.   Any suggestions of other free sites?

Sharon

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 September 17 13:26 BST (UK) »

The costs are on the site www.eggsa.org, they are reasonable, so it won't break the bank, but they can be a valuable source of info as I said.  I have transcribed some that have even had grandchildren and spouses of the children listed.

Do you know where she was buried, because some of the cemeteries haven't been photographed yet, but more are done all the time.

If you post the names, depending on where and when they were born on the boards for those countries, there are plenty of very kind helpful folk who can help you track them down if you get stuck.

Sue

Family Search is about the best for South Africa at the moment

Offline JosephSC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 September 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
My grandparents (on mother's side), my mom's sister, my late brother and mother were all buried at Stellawood.  I can tell you that my mother and brother's plot is 656 (down in the valley part) and my grandparents and aunt are up on the top of the hill towards Fielden Drive.  I think the plot no was 1286 or close to that number.  My mother's and brother's grave has been over 50 years, as my brother passed away 25 August 1967.  I do not remember the plot to have a gravestone.  My dad was supposed to have been buried there but he came over to UK and passed away 15 April 2017.  He was cremated.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 September 17 14:29 BST (UK) »

Here is the link for the Stellawood Cemetery:

https://www.eggsa.org/library/main.php?g2_itemId=156220

It has been quite well documented, you may be lucky

Sue

Offline JosephSC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 September 17 14:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your help. :)