Author Topic: BMD for Scotland  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BMD for Scotland
« on: Friday 15 September 17 23:22 BST (UK) »
Could someone please help me research someone born in Scotland around 1932. I have access to FindMyPast and also Ancestry but neither seem to help me find access. I would like to find out where they were born and possible family members. Any help wooud be greatly appreciated.

Towdlass
Stevenson, Toulson, Owen, Bolland, Laxton, Brocksopp, Butler, Banks, Beadling.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: BMD for Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 September 17 23:25 BST (UK) »
If you are looking for their birth & parent details you would have to use Scotlands People.  Birth certs for that period cannot be viewed online but can be purchased

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/search-our-records
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 September 17 01:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,

You forgot to say the index is free  ;D

You know it would only be decent if both those commercial sites made it clear to people what they hold on Scottish info. & refer people to SP with an explanation as it would be so easy in a few paragraphs?

I don't know how often we read Scottish queries where people tell us they have been to those sites?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 September 17 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,

You forgot to say the index is free  ;D

You know it would only be decent if both those commercial sites made it clear to people what they hold on Scottish info. & refer people to SP with an explanation as it would be so easy in a few paragraphs?

I don't know how often we read Scottish queries where people tell us they have been to those sites?

Annie
I agree Annie.
I used to be totally annoyed with FindMyPast and their claims re Scottish Information but I'm now aulder and wiser  ;D
It is still invaluable for the newspapers (Scottish & others) as well as the 1841-1901 Scottish censuses.
Of course the free indexes on the new ScotlandsPeople website is also very welcome.
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 September 17 19:06 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

As others have said, you won't be able to access this birth online because it is less than 100 years ago.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.