Author Topic: Etta Hylands (?) USA - Victorian/Edwardian era, vaudeville performer - date help  (Read 1291 times)

Offline annafine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
 Hi all,

I *believe* this photo is of my great-great grandmother Etta Hylands, a vaudeville pianist, but there's a slight chance it is her daughter Etta who also performed as a singer with her during the early 1900s. Etta was born circa 1875 so dating this photograph correctly will help me accurately discern if this is in fact Etta based on her age.

Any help would be much appreciated!  :)

Thank you,

Anna

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Etta Hylands (?) USA - Victorian/Edwardian era, vaudeville performer - date help
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 September 17 10:39 BST (UK) »
Your link is dead....showing zero Kb's

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Etta Hylands (?) USA - Victorian/Edwardian era, vaudeville performer - date help
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 September 17 14:44 BST (UK) »
I'm uploading this on behalf of the OP and hoping it works ok. It was only 25dpi but huge dimensions put it over the 500 limit. I've juggled it around a bit, but have asked the OP to re-scan just in case.

Edit..... actually it looks ok...knock yourselves out ;D

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 September 17 15:08 BST (UK) »
.......and with a quick clean....

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 September 17 15:20 BST (UK) »
That is lovely Andy.
This is not a restoration done by me, but a photo I found on Google images in an article about Etta and her brother Fred.  It is dated 1912, so I hope that helps you annafine. The article talks about her daughter, so this must be your great, great grandmother.
Added - I don't know if you have read R.S. Baker's antique record blogs, but there is a lot of information about the Hyland family, I found them on Google images.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline annafine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 September 17 18:32 BST (UK) »
That is lovely Andy.
This is not a restoration done by me, but a photo I found on Google images in an article about Etta and her brother Fred.  It is dated 1912, so I hope that helps you annafine. The article talks about her daughter, so this must be your great, great grandmother.
Added - I don't know if you have read R.S. Baker's antique record blogs, but there is a lot of information about the Hyland family, I found them on Google images.

Thank you so much Trishanne. I actually supplied this photo to RS Baker. Where did you see the date 1912? Thanks again

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 September 17 19:59 BST (UK) »
annafine, It was in the article where I found the photo. It says 'Well thanks to the great nieces of Fred Hylands once more, they dug up this fantastic photo of Fred's sister from about 1912, or so.'
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline annafine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 September 17 21:46 BST (UK) »
annafine, It was in the article where I found the photo. It says 'Well thanks to the great nieces of Fred Hylands once more, they dug up this fantastic photo of Fred's sister from about 1912, or so.'

Thanks Trishanne. That was my best guess when I sent her the photo (I am one of the nieces she's referring to). I think the photo looks like it is from about 1912, and that fits with what I know of her, but I'm not sure...anyone have any idea based on the clothing/footwear/hat? I am new to this but trying to figure out how to date a photo...or at least rule out certain dates...

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 September 17 23:11 BST (UK) »
It looks more like a 1920s photo rather than the Edwardian era to me...is it a postcard and are you able to post the back?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU