Author Topic: Torpedoed!!  (Read 1045 times)

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Torpedoed!!
« on: Saturday 16 September 17 00:51 BST (UK) »

Can anyone tell me please what happened when survivors of a torpedoed ship were picked up?
What sort of details of the survivors were recorded?
Did these records form part of the log of the ship that rescued these men?
What happened to these men when the ship reached port?

and any other details that I may have forgotten to mention.
I am particularly interested in men rescued in/around the West Indies in late 1942, though any details might help me understand the events.
Casey, Cunningham Burt Glasgow & Ireland,
Dobell, Bridgeman, London
Deavin London and France

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Torpedoed!!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 September 17 14:33 BST (UK) »
You do not say the nationality of the vessels sunk. For the sake of progress I will assume the sunk vessel was British registered
What sort of details of the survivors were recorded? Depends on who was writing up the logbook. The name of the sunken ship may be recorded as well as the name of her master. It would be doubtful that crew members of the sunken vessel would be recorded in the logbook.
Did these records form part of the log of the ship that rescued these men? As above.
What happened to these men when the ship reached port? Depends. If it was a UK port after a short period of leave, they would be returned to the Merchant Navy reserve pool. If they were put ashore in a none UK port, they would be declared DBS (Distressed British Seaman) and if accommodation was available put on board the next ship sailing for the UK. In the early part of the war their pay was stopped from the time their original vessel was sunk.
In the main a Survivors Report would be taken, usually from the Master or First Mate but unusual if crew members who survived would be mentioned. This information would be in the shore Crew Agreement which would be kept by the owners of the sunken vessel.
I am particularly interested in men rescued in/around the West Indies in late 1942,
A lot of sea and a lot of ships. From EMPIRE TENNYSON on 1/October/1942 sunk off Trinidad
To TREWORLAS on the 28/December/1942 also sunk off Trinidad. You need to look at Lloyd's War Losses for other ships torpedoed in the area of the West Indies. British Vessels Lost at Sea 1939-1945 and http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/
are also useful sources.
Once you have the names of the ships lost in the area of the West Indies, you then need to find their official number http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/vesselsalpha.php
 You can search Crew Agreements at the British National Archive. Catalogued via ON.

Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 September 17 14:31 BST (UK) »
thanks Seaweed

An informative response giving me much to think about.

Dad was taken into Port of Spain Trinidad.  He did not want to go back to sea and somehow managed to get himself enlisted as crew on board a USED tug called DELAMAR and spent sometime on this ship which was sent to Barbados for dry dock.  Then later on an Alcoa steamship company called WELLANDOC.  Eventually he disappeared and turned up in Montreal where he signed back onto British merchant navy ships.
Deavin London and France

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 September 17 15:25 BST (UK) »
Do you know the date when he was landed at  Port of Spain and if possible could you give us your dads full name date and place of birth?
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 September 17 18:04 BST (UK) »
Do you know the date when he was landed at  Port of Spain and if possible could you give us your dads full name date and place of birth?
Hi Seaweed,

I can only give approximates!  Delamar was sent from Port of Spain to Bridgetown, Barbados for some work to be done in the dry dock in Barbados I believe .  Dad was on board. In Bridgetown he met his future wife and after spending Xmas with her family they married in January 1943 having known each other for just over a month.  My husband is not sure but Dad could have arrived in Trinidad as early as September 1942.

Dad was Dominic Michael Stringer, born 14.4.1919 or 1922 probably in Ireland (Dublin?) but grew up in Glasgow.  There are many posts on this website and elsewhere about my search for Dad, but I  am happy to pm you his story as far as I know it.
Deavin London and France

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 00:43 BST (UK) »
No problem, PM me with what you have.
There is no "Seaman's Pouch" for him.  This is not unusual for men who had been shipwrecked. Nor a WW2 medal entitlement. Again not unusual as many Merchant seamen did not claim their medals.
You need to find his form CRS 10 which would record the British vessels he sailed on, together with dates and places of engagement and discharge.
If anywhere it should be available from here http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10989959
You would need to visit Kew or get someone to look for you.
 That said, there were couple of US vessels,  ALCOA TRANSPORT and ALCOA MARINER which would fit the bill. Just wondering if he sailed in one of those ships. Best see what his form CRS 10 reveals as a starter.

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi SW,

Fair play to Daisy1942, who is still not giving up on this one. Just to let you know I was involved looking down the various routes without success. If I remember correctly the CRS 10 was incomplete and if I also remember correctly there may even be the possibility of a name change. Daisy will I am sure fill you in on detail. I think if this is to proceed a major breakthrough is required.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi SW,

Fair play to Daisy1942, who is still not giving up on this one. Just to let you know I was involved looking down the various routes without success. If I remember correctly the CRS 10 was incomplete and if I also remember correctly there may even be the possibility of a name change. Daisy will I am sure fill you in on detail. I think if this is to proceed a major breakthrough is required.

Regards
Hugh

Thanks Hugh

Another memory has sprung out of the wood work though I am not sure what use it may be...

Dad talked of taking a "driving test" that involved taking a Matador towing a field gun downhill without touching the brakes and keeping control of the vehicle.

My question is does anyone else remember/recall or recognise doing something similar? What unit/service were you in? Anything that people know about such an experience is of interest.
Deavin London and France

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 September 17 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi SW,

Regards
Hugh

Hello Hugh,
I trust your are well!

Yes. daisy1942 has sent some details. I would agree with you a major breakthrough is required. It would appear the  person in question served on a US vessel registered in Panama. Hopefully she may have been chartered to HM Government at the time in question. There may be details in BT389. Long shot!

regards SW

RIP Roger 10 August 2022