Author Topic: Index to Death Duty Registers  (Read 2487 times)

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Index to Death Duty Registers
« on: Saturday 16 September 17 06:32 BST (UK) »
On FindMyPast at my library I was able to see an image from the above register possibly for an ancestor, James Young whose death I haven't found yet.
Intestate - Young, James 1812.    Name & Residence of Adm   Elizabeth Young, Sunderland    Court where granted  consist. Durham  4394
James had a daughter Elizabeth  and he lived in Sunderland. He was a witness at another daughter's marriage in 1810. It seems to fit.
I read the information about the Death Duty Register on FindMyPast but I still don't know how to find out if there would be any more information and where it is. Would James Young be on this register if he had nothing to pass on?  Thanks  Jo   

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Index to Death Duty Registers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 September 17 09:28 BST (UK) »
You can read the administration bond on the North East Inheritance Database.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 September 17 09:53 BST (UK) »
Also this link:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-69R3-Z6F?i=9&wc=95XB-W3N%3A1170879001&cc=2353049

Elizabeth was his wife (referred to as relict of ....  )
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 September 17 10:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Millmoor and Gadget for your help. Wrong James Young. He was not a Master Mariner. Jo

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 September 17 10:13 BST (UK) »
Jo -

If you give us more details, we might be able to help you find his death, etc.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Online Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 September 17 10:24 BST (UK) »
The information quoted seems to be from the index to the Death Duty Registers.  The Death Duty Register entry itself should contain further details and should be found at The National Archives at Kew (in IR26 using the reference number (4394)).  An explanatory leaflet about Death Duty Registers can be found on TNA's website, which should give you an idea of what details to expect.

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 September 17 11:15 BST (UK) »
I hope it is ok to put both husband and wife on this same post. I can't find either of their deaths.
James Young. bapt. 24th Oct. 1754 at the Corn Market Chapel, Sunderland, Durham ( as were his siblings Elisebeth, Jane and George.)
 James was a brewer, he married Christiana Bentley at Kirkby Moorside 14th Jan. 1779. their children were - William,  1779 K M.  Nanny 1783, Helmsley, James, 1786, Corn Market chapel,Sunderland,  Betsy, 1785, CMC, Sarah, 1789, CMC, Bentley, 1794, Stockton on Tees. Although I haven't seen it I was told that James was a witness at his daughter Sarah's marriage to Lancelot Iredale in 1810 so I have been looking for a death after that time.  I think he would have been living in Sunderland or Gateshead.
Christiana Young ( nee Bentley) bapt. 14th Jan. 1757,Kirkdale, North Yorkshire. I have information on her parents and siblings but nothing further on her after Bentley was born at Stockton on Tees . All Bentley's later records are in Sunderland so I do not think that the family moved to Stockton. 
Gadget - Thank you for suggesting that I seek help locating the death records  of James and Christiana Young I would appreciate any information - I haven't had any luck so far. Jo  ( NZ)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 September 17 12:34 BST (UK) »
What evidence is there that supports the marriage witness being James the father rather than James the son?
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 September 17 14:24 BST (UK) »
Nearest I can find so far is a burial 6 Dec 1833 at St Michael, Bishopwearmouth -
James Young, 76, of the Poor House
No info about occupation, etc.
Not sure that it would be him but worth putting in the maybe box.

Gadget