Author Topic: Ronald Moss b1893 Blenheim  (Read 7297 times)

Offline johnbarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I need a little help along the way !!
    • View Profile
Re: Ronald Moss b1893 Blenheim
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 17 September 17 05:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks johnbarr.

Is Helen living with any other relative in 1928?

Two entries for 1928, so presumably she moved that year:
Auckland Suburbs, at Hauraki Rd., Birkenhead, widow
Roskill, at 59 Shackleton Rd., widow
then
1935, Manukau, 1 Bishop St., widow
1938, Manukau, 1 Bishop St., widow

No sign of another Moss, or Moss-Mason at the same address in any of those years.

Do we have any record of the original Ronald Moss apart from his birth??
Barraclough, Barron, Hunter, Marsden, Pawson, Sowden, Street, Vowless,

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 September 17 07:42 BST (UK) »
johnbarr, I don't believe we have anything other than a birth.

It feels like the family 'disappeared' or perhaps the children went back to whence they came, or started afresh somewhere else with only the parents remaining in New Zealand???

Perhaps the OP can fill us in a bit more?  Give us a fresh angle?
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 September 17 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
I've been reading your posts about the above with great interest. Some details of Edward and Helen's children: Adelaide married Austin Downey Williams at Auckland in 1923 and Edith married Joseph England Noonan at Devonport, Auckland in 1916, these I found from a tree on Ancestry. I contacted the owner who said that she thought that Moss-Mason was an adopted son of Edward and Helen?
The Noonans' had 3 children, one of whom Gabrielle Violet married Christopher John Martin Morgan West between 1950-1954, one of their children, Marilyn is a cousin of the tree owner but as yet is not contactable-all I can glean is that she works in real estate and she lives on the north side of Auckland on the north island. There is another daughter  Sheridan Elizabeth who lived with her parents 1978-1981 at Manurewa and a son Christopher who I can't trace at all.
Helen Honnor was the daughter of Henry Honnor and Jane Watkins Healey, the latter being the daughter of James Healey b1806, the subject of an earlier post on here as he emigrated to NZ from England.
Looking at the NZ electoral rolls, I saw Helen Moss in Epsom, Onehunga and in the same area the Mason-Moss couple, also a John Mason at a separate address in that area.
If the owner of the Ancestry tree is correct regarding Edirh and Adelaide's marriages she may be correct regarding Moss-Mason's adoption.
Are there any adoption records available there for that period?
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 September 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
Adelaide married Austin Downey Williams at Auckland in 1923 and Edith married Joseph England Noonan at Devonport, Auckland in 1916

You can find the marriages on NZBDM

The question is, as pointed out by TT, where are the sons and the other two daughters? I can't see deaths for them. Maybe some NZ board experts here will locate them.

So, which family are you connected to, the Moss or the Moss-Mason?

You need to remove names from your last post of anyone who may still be living.

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 September 17 12:50 BST (UK) »
Jamjar, I'm related to James Healey who was my 2 x gt uncle, his daughter Jane married Henry Honnor and their daughter married Edward Moss. So I'm trying to find out if the Ronald, their son was actually Moss or Moss-Mason, no point adding Moss Mason if he's not directly related to me is there?
Regarding Helen's other children, Emily married Fergus John Morris in 1912, Henry and George passed away in Nov 1918 and Ronald is a mystery. These 'facts' are according to the Ancestry tree owner.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 September 17 19:39 BST (UK) »
Cockneyrebel, it would be good to know what evidence there was available for the marriage of Adelaide and Emily, or if another RCer can double-check the ages at death of the possible married women with the proposed married surnames in NZ BDM.

If two of the boys perished in 1918, then was this at war?  Or influenze epidemic?  Where did that occur?

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 17 September 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
Regarding adoption records... there are no officially searchable records.  However the births microfiche often points to a change of name, and this could provide a clue in this situation.

as far as I know in NZ only the adult adoptee may view their own records.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 17 September 17 21:10 BST (UK) »

Cockneyrebel, it would be good to know what evidence there was available for the marriage of Adelaide and Emily, or if another RCer can double-check the ages at death of the possible married women with the proposed married surnames in NZ BDM.

Mmm ... not sure why a "double check" is required (or about the earlier reference to  "ages not matching death records" )  ;D  ???   

Waikaraka Cemetery - Auckland
http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/dbtw-wpd/cemeteries/cemetery.html
(Link to records is slow ...  )

Emily MORRIS - d. 1958 - 74 years (born c. 1884 ... which is close enough to date of her birth registration, 1883.)
In adjacent plots are her husband, Fergus John MORRIS and a child of 4 years d. 1920, Theo Fergus MORRIS.

Adelaide WILLIAMS - died 14 June 1976 - age 79 - ( NZ BDM online has her d.o.b. as 4 June 1897.)
Same plot - her husband, Austin Downey WILLIAMS.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 17 September 17 21:19 BST (UK) »
... veering way off track here, but the following death notice for the son of Emily, (Theo Fergus), confirms that Emily was known as "Lillie".   An online tree has a photo of this lady, labelled "Emily (Lily) MORRIS."
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AS19200809.2.88