Author Topic: Brick Wall - Marriage (1700s)  (Read 1602 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Wall - Marriage (1700s)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 September 17 18:06 BST (UK) »
My ancestor was George Boswell, a saddler who was born around Kinghorn (Fife) to Walter Boswell, also a saddler, and Margaret Robertson, his wife.  George was baptized in February 1703 in Burntisland parish, and grew up at his father's home in Balbarton, Fife.

George was apprenticed to another Walter Boswell (I assume a cousin of his father's), saddler, in Edinburgh on August 13th 1718.  He was entered a burgess of Edinburgh on February 15th 1727.

George and his wife had four children that I know of: Helen (born 1732), David (born 1740), Margaret, and Walter (birth years of the last two are unknown).  George died in Edinburgh in November 1769.

Cheers!
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 September 17 18:52 BST (UK) »
Boswall George 19/12/1770 sadler in Edinburgh TT Edinburgh Commissary Court  CC8/8/121

You can get the above at Scotlands People (Wills and Testaments)

Don

This in NSA RH15/36/36   Accounts: Saddler  (George Boswall)
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 September 17 19:08 BST (UK) »
I have checked out various records that I hold with no luck.

However I did find on Scotland's People a marriage of George Boiswell (as printed) and Agnes Broun in Kinghorn 11/10/1720.  If it is the right one, George would have only been 17.

There were 2 children to the above parents, Andrew born 17/1/1724 and George born 16/2/1722.  No others that I can find.  Not sure if this is the same person.
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 September 17 19:40 BST (UK) »
I don't think Boiswell/Broun is your man the original OPR is from Wester Barbadie in Kinghorn. Where it should have read Edinburgh.  When you go off to learn a trade you do so long before you marry.  And their children were all born in Kinghorn.

I can't find any of the children in SP.  The only George/??? that fits your dates was married to Allison Bayne but this George was a writer (lawyer). 

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline gtinCan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 September 17 02:00 BST (UK) »
Boswall George 19/12/1770 sadler in Edinburgh TT Edinburgh Commissary Court  CC8/8/121

You can get the above at Scotlands People (Wills and Testaments)

Don

This in NSA RH15/36/36   Accounts: Saddler  (George Boswall)

Thanks, Don.  I've already read through his testament - no mention of his wife, although that's not unexpected.

The NSA holding is something new, though.  I might have to have that checked out.