Author Topic: ROBERTS of Rookehurst, Glassenbury.  (Read 1957 times)

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
ROBERTS of Rookehurst, Glassenbury.
« on: Saturday 16 September 17 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi team

Where do I start...

I've recently discovered a possible relative who has traced our family back 2000 years, a lifetime of research!  :o

It appears that our DNA does not match... So I thought I'd have a snoop around.

I know what I'm asking is VERY early and probably impossible but I'm looking for the baptism's for any children of John ROBERTS and Agnes of Cranbrook, Glassenbury.  They were married c1430.

Now apparently the family is titled and are either Lord's or Sir's.  There are other threads that enquire about this family in later years.  I have read that John was married previously and had female issue, and then bore two sons with Agnes.  The two son's being Stephen and Walter.  Walter having an EXTREMELY interesting life if googled!!!  I am VERY interested to know if there are any other children, especially male children...

I suspect any info these days would be obtained from wills from this era, but I'd be very interested in your imput.

I could go on and on with what is online and on other people tree's but you know how it is.

Regards,

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ROBERTS of Rookehurst, Glassenbury.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 September 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
Researching this far back can be tricky.

Churches were not obliged to keep records until the 16th Century so you will else to look elsewhere for evidence.

Fortunately this family was wealthy and would have left wills etc.  Try the TNA website.

The Kent Library and History Centre has some records for this family: Roberts family, baronets, of Glassenbury,  deeds, manorial records, family and estate papers

You might also find something in Chancery records, Herald Visitations and Feet of Fines.

Cranbrook Museum and Local History Society may be able to help

http://www.cranbrookmuseum.org/

Good luck   :)
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROBERTS of Rookehurst, Glassenbury.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 15:20 BST (UK) »
I googled in John Roberts of Glassenbury and it came up with a site "John Roberts c1408 to 1461"and has info gives his parents children and wife who was Lady Agnes Baker Baroness of Kent