Author Topic: Douglas L. Laurenson b. 1919 in Essex, England d. 1961  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
Douglas L. Laurenson b. 1919 in Essex, England d. 1961
« on: Sunday 17 September 17 03:59 BST (UK) »
Am hoping someone can find the death of this man or at least something on him.  His mother was a Barbara Laurenson who married a Captain George Laurenson in Shetland.  Both had the name of Laurenson.  They did move to Essex and he also had a son called George Laurenson who was also a Captain who died  few years after his father.

Anyone help me out?  Am also looking for a photograph of his parents. ???
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas L. Laurenson b. 1919 in Essex, England d. 1961
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 September 17 04:22 BST (UK) »
His death was registered in Dec Qtr 1962, Ilford Essex.

His Probate was done in 1963:
Douglas Lloyd LAURENSON of 87 Otley Drive, Ilford, Essex, died 7 Dec 1962. Administration London on 5th May 1963 to Lloyds Bank.

His mother died a month later. Also in Probate (done before his):
Barbara LAURENSON of 87 Otley Drive, Ilford Essex, widow, died 9 Jan 1963. Administration London on 25 March 1963 to Lloyds Bank.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 September 17 04:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.  Really appreciate your help.  Do you have any idea where I might find a picture of Barbara and her husband? :D
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 September 17 04:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Lauraine,

I would imagine from family sources?   Douglas appears to have had 2 sisters born in Romford. Have you any knowledge of them or idea of what became of them - marriage, children etc?

Did you say Douglas had a son named George? 

What was George LAURENSON snr a captain of? Ships?  He may have died 1955 in Essex, Probate 1956.

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 September 17 05:11 BST (UK) »
Oh , I think you meant - George snr & Barbara had a son named George?

He  - George William LAURENSON - died October 1956; his probate 1957 names his wife, Anna Lillian LAURENSON.

George William married in 1948 Ilford, Essex - to Anna Lillian LAURENSON the widow of his brother Jeremiah James LAURENSON  who died  age 25, at sea in 1941 in WW2.  (JJL and Anna had married 1939 Woolwich - her maiden name NELSON).

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

There are a number of Trees I've just seen on A*y descending from George & Barbara.

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 September 17 05:58 BST (UK) »
First of all both George Laurensons were captains of ships. (I think).  George & Barbara had a son they called George William Laurenson who died in 1956.  I did know about the two sisters (think there were a couple more?) but maybe born in Shetland? 

I did not know about George William marrying his brother's wife but will make a note of it.  Thank you so much. 

Any idea where I might find a picture of any of them?

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 September 17 06:29 BST (UK) »
George Laurenson & Barbara had three girls.  One died about 2 years of age (probably born in either the U.S. or Shetland? but definitely died at aged 2 years in Tacoma, Wash. US. Not sure if the mother didn't accompany her husband there??"?

The other two were Ruby and Mary - the first one married a fellow with surname Patience with several surviving children shown and the other one married chap called Douglas Duthoit with one child shown.  (information taken from Bayanne site by Tony Gott).

Am still looking for any pictures of George & Barbara??  Thanks again for all your help.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 September 17 10:11 BST (UK) »
The family will be on this superb website,      https://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/

If you can get back to the 18th century Laurenson will become Anderson or Johnson etc' as Shetlanders before then used a patronymic & each generation had a different surname.

Skoosh.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 September 17 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Scootch

Was aware of that site and its where most of my family information originated from.  Tony Gott runs the most wonderful site and its also free.

I looked up this family from GEorge and Barbara backwards and found one of Barbara's ancestors from the 1730's.  Can find very few before 1700 on any of the Shetland families but a few.  I also noted they had used the name changing system.  Now that DOES MAKE THINGS VERY DIFFICULT!!!