Author Topic: Hugh Skimming Campbell, Wigtownshire  (Read 132 times)

Offline mikeintiny

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Skimming Campbell, Wigtownshire
« on: Sunday 17 September 17 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hugh Skimming Campbell, 16.6.1854 - 25.10.1898, father William Campbell, b. 10.6.1805 (and his father is listed as William Campbell of Auchland, Wigtown and no mother on the birth/baptismal cert) and Sarah Gibson, b.21.01.1814, both of Kirkinner, at time of Hugh's birth father was listed as farm servant at Torhousemuir.
Hugh's siblings are (all +/- 1 year): Mary b.1837, Janet b.1839, William b.1841, John b.1843, Samuel b.1845, Robert b.1848, Elizabeth b.1849, Alexander b.1859.
Records indicate that father William was: 1841 Wigtown census say ag. labourer (I take it to be agronomy), which I take to be most likely crofter. 1851 census (area of Wigtown, village of Balmeg) gives him as farmer of 5 acres and looks like at Kirkiminee(?) with daughter Janet listed as scholar at Balmeg.
Hugh Skimming became a baker and eventually moved to Glasgow, date unknown.
My questions:
1) Are there any records of apprenticeship for bakers for the period of say 1864 - 1870? I would imagine Hugh getting apprenticed around age of 10 - 15
2) any records of any Skimming living in that area?  Am thinking of possibly his grandmother's maiden surname, the one not listed on Hugh's father's birth certificate.
I can attach various documents, but would prefer they be asked for, thanks.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.