Author Topic: John Warner - bc.1784 - Great Dunmow  (Read 971 times)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
John Warner - bc.1784 - Great Dunmow
« on: Sunday 17 September 17 23:10 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to unravel my Warner line (where everyone is called John or Mary) for nigh on a decade now.  I have the following family, who I think I have had linked in incorrectly and they don't belong to the line I thought they did.  I have Warners from Great Dunmow, but I need to tidy up the family below:

1841 Great Dunmow

New Street

John Warner, age 55, School Master
Mary Warner, 45
Lydia Warner, 25
Elizabeth Warner, 22
John Warner, 21, School Master
Thomas Warner, 19, Tinplate Worker
Catharine Warner, 18
Benjamin Warner, 8

All born Essex, except Mary.

HO107/328 F 4 P 2.

Matters aren't helped by the fact that the 1851 census for Dunmow was lost.  Both John and Mary had died by the next census:

John Warner
Age 76
Q Dec 1860
Dunmow
Vol 04A
Pg 197

Mary Warner
Age 60
Q Jun 1849
Dunmow
Vol 12
Pg 58

If anyone could find a baptism for John Warner, b.c. 1784 in Essex, that would be great.  I believe he had a sister, Mary (no surprises there), who died aged 21 in 1810.  They were non-conformists - the family are buried at the URC in Great Dunmow.

Many thanks,

Emma
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline mrjunder

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Warner - bc.1784 - Great Dunmow
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have just come across your post about John Warner of Great Dunmow. We are antiquarian manuscript dealers and have a John Warner of Ingatestone memorandum book ( father of your John Warner) which details the family births and deaths back to 1780’s . Can confirm that Mary was John’s sister, and her date of death. Any more info, please contact us.
Regards
Mrjunder

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Re: John Warner - bc.1784 - Great Dunmow
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Thank you for your reply!  Since posting the thread, I have since managed to unravel my Warners from this family - I should not have been surprised that we weren't related to school masters!  It's interesting to know where these guys came from, though.

It is quite a few years since I went to Dunmow, but have a recollection of a John Joselyn Warner being buried in the URC and listed on the memorial there, along with several other family members.  Does he feature in the memorandum book?
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)