Author Topic: Looking for Margaret Thomas from Coventry  (Read 6181 times)

Offline Gloria Mann (Nee Blackford)

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Margaret Thomas from Coventry
« on: Monday 18 September 17 03:40 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information about my grandmother Margaret Thomas Born 1912 -1996 in Coventry, Warwickshire.  She married John (Jack) Blackford from Nuneaton area in 1926 and had children, Derek, Lionel, Margaret, John, Jean and James (Jimmy).  I am trying to find family history, Mother, Father etc as have drawn a blank.  I believe she was born in the Coundon area of Coventry.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Margaret Thomas from Coventry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 September 17 04:15 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat  ;D

Births Sep 1912  Thomas   Margaret    Hodges    Coventry    6d   1098

Marriages Dec 1926  Thomas    Margaret    Blackford    Nuneaton    6d   1[2_]90
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 September 17 04:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there,  thanks for the welcome.  I came upon this site and i hope I am using it correctly.  I'm trying to find my Grandmother's maiden name as I'm stumped. Do you mean by what you answered me that Margaret Thomas was Hodges?  Sorry to be a duffer.

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 September 17 08:05 BST (UK) »
Iluleah found the records on the site freebmd.org.uk which is free and quite easy to use, but the results shouldn't be taken as gospel - you can use them to send for certificates, it shows you how. However the Blackford-Thomas marriage looks certain as it matches the details you have. There are a lot of births for Margaret Thomas but only one in or near Coventry around 1912, that one gives her mother's maiden name as Hodges.

Putting in the surname Thomas with mother's name Hodges gives possible siblings for Margaret in Coventry -  Mary 1915 Annie 1916 and Jack 1918 - do these names mean anything to you? (The same technique using Blackford and Thomas gives the siblings you mention, but also an unrelated one in Kent, so that wasn't the only Blackford-Thomas marriage. We aren't allowed to post details of living people which these may be.)

You can find mother's maiden names for births before 1912 using the sitewww.gro.gov.uk which can also be used to order certs, but you have to be a member (free). I found Caroline 1907 Leonard 1908 and Dorothy 1910 in Coventry - are these familiar?

However looking for a marriage of a male Thomas to a female Hodges in Warwickshire around that time draws a blank. There are plenty of marriages elsewhere. One possibility is to look up Caroline Leonard and Dorothy on the 1911 census, but we are not permitted to do this for you. You could then see if their parents are the same as those given on Margaret's birth certificate, then you're away.

You could also look up members of this family on the 1939 pre-war register at FindMyPast - most people who are now deceased are shown. Again, this is something we aren't permitted to do for you.

Chris
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 September 17 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat  ;D

Births Sep 1912  Thomas   Margaret    Hodges    Coventry    6d   1098

Marriages Dec 1926  Thomas    Margaret    Blackford    Nuneaton    6d   1[2_]90

Welcome to Rootschat.  My apologies for this BUT  the above information would mean that Margaret was only 14 years old when she married John Blackford  :o

1939 suggests she was born in 1908.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 September 17 08:36 BST (UK) »
Margaret's death registration (1996 North Warwickshire) gives her birthdate as 11 June 1912, but I agree that other information suggests she was in fact born on that day in 1908.

One possible birth: Margaret Thomas, Jun qtr 1908 King's Norton, mother's maiden name Jones.

Her parents may be George Herbert Thomas and Florence Maud Jones, married in Coventry in Mar qtr 1903. Update: not this couple; his Army records show that their Margaret was Margaret Amy, born in Coventry in 1906.

You will need to get Margaret's marriage certificate (for her father's details) to be sure you are following the right person/family.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 September 17 08:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I should have realised that my analysis is useless unless Margaret managed to deceive everyone and marry aged 14! However the techniques that could be used still apply. The King's Norton one's mother's maiden name of Jones is particularly unhelpful, and there are seven plain Margaret Thomases born that quarter alone, plus many more with middle names.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 September 17 09:42 BST (UK) »
Chris_49  From all the information I have is that my grandmother Margaret Thomas did indeed marry at 14 which I believe was legal in the 1920's. In 1929 they increased the age of marriage to 16.  I know she had a sibling Jack who lived in Coventry, a Len married to Cis (or like), a Nancy and a Burt, the others don't ring a bell but I don't know much of her siblings. I believe she was born possibly in the Coundon area of Coventry. I will look into her marriage certificate but so far the Thomas family seem to be incognito.  Thank you all on here for your guidance, I appreciate it.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 September 17 09:58 BST (UK) »
You mention a child of John and Margaret Blackford - Lionel.

There is a birth registration for Lionel F Blackford - Coventry - March quarter 1933 with mother's maiden name of Thomas.

This coincides again with the 1939 entry for Margaret, born 1908 and there is a Lionel F in the same household born 1933.

Added:  Looking for a death registration for Lionel F = Lionel Frank - died November 2004 with birth date of 3 January 1933 (as in 1939)

John Blackford - died September 1973 with birth date of 9 December 1906 (as 1939 entry)

So that leavers Margaret with different years, but the same day and month  :-\

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY