Author Topic: Looking for Margaret Thomas from Coventry  (Read 6291 times)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Margaret Thomas from Coventry
« Reply #54 on: Monday 04 December 17 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes William can be found on the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses, first in Claines just outside Worcester, and then in the city. His father is first Henry William but afterwards William Henry but he is consistently a butcher married to Ann and the ages and his brthplace and such children that carry over are reasonable matches. I couldn't find their marriage until I swapped his forenames around - Droitwich district 1866 but this can't be taken as gospel as there are 4 names on the page and I can't find a church record.

I found that William's next older brother Edward Herbert and his three younger sisters had the MMN Wright, this was also true of his older siblings Mary and Matthew if I assumed their birth was not Broadway as transcribed but more likely Broadwas in Martley district and much nearer to the city - and sure enough FamilySearch has their baptisms in Broadwas, though not the younger siblings. Matt was registered "Mathew" Henry and his birth doesn't really match his census age.

More later if I've time
Chris
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Margaret Thomas from Coventry
« Reply #55 on: Monday 04 December 17 14:24 GMT (UK) »
The birth places of Mary Maria and Mathew do read more as Broadwas on the original, but easy to mistake them for the more famous Broadway if you don't know.

There's quite a small window between William Thomas being single on the 1901 and the birth of his and Eliza's eldest child William in Worcester in 1903, who matches in the next census record. They don't seem to marry in that window - or at all! Significant that Sue who has both their birth certs doesn't have the marriage one?

Chris
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)