Author Topic: Looking for Margaret Thomas from Coventry  (Read 6269 times)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Margaret Thomas from Coventry
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 September 17 10:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, Lionel Frank is the only one we're allowed to mention as he's dead - but the redacted ones are in the right order too.

Margaret's YoB is clearly 1908 though and the smudged addition above looks nothing like a correction. Making herself a similar age to her husband? Only certificates will sort this out. Her last child was born 1950 but this doesn't rule out any birth year for her. However it may be significant that she seems to have conceived no children in the first 3 years of her marriage, despite having 6 after that - but she may have had miscarriages or unreported stillbirths.

From Warwickshire anecdote I hear that very young brides married not only because they were pregnant, obviously, as from time immemorial -  but also because they had become (ahem!) very intimate, and the marriage was rushed to prevent any future scandal. I have one around this time and place where the bride was 16, but sadly they were unable to have any children at all.

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Gloria Mann (Nee Blackford)

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 September 17 10:39 BST (UK) »
You guys are spot on with the son Lionel and John's dates and this is definitely my grandmother.  My father Derek was the firstborn in 1930, he passed away in 2015.  We always believed she married extremely young for love but who knows maybe it was because of (ahem) becoming intimate.  I have a feeling though that although it might say 1908 that her she lied and it was actually 1912.  I now have the problem of trying to find her parents and from what you say her mother was a Hodges.  I will try and order a birth certificate from where you suggest and see if I can go from there with her parents.   

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 September 17 11:02 BST (UK) »
It might be better to order the marriage certificate first as that would hopefully give her father's name and occupation and at least some version of her age, as it should for everyone under 21. For instance if it says she's 18 that's probably correct, but if it says (say) 16 that could be cover for her being 14 which would be much frowned upon.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 September 17 11:05 BST (UK) »
It might be better to order the marriage certificate first as that would hopefully give her father's name and occupation and at least some version of her age, as it should for everyone under 21. For instance if it says she's 18 that's probably correct, but if it says (say) 16 that could be cover for her being 14 which would be much frowned upon.

Yes I agree with Chris, how would you know which birth cert to order,you may choose the wrong one ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 September 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
Just wondering about the correction - as the Register was updated for a number of years, could the alteration be to Margaret's status = widow and the year   :-\

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 September 17 13:05 BST (UK) »
Assuming I've found the correct entry in 1911, then John Blackford is the son of James and Frances.  It is possible that this was James' second marriage.

John Blackford, registered March quarter 1907 in Nuneaton District - mother's maiden name is Hall

Marriage registered in Nuneaton District - September quarter 1902 - James Blackford and Frances Hall.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Gloria Mann (Nee Blackford)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 September 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness, it does get complicated doesn't it,  you are all helping tremendously.  I do know my Grandfather, John Blackford had half siblings so BumbleB is right when he says James Blackford's marriage to Francis Hall could possibly a second marriage. The older living members of my family do not know the names of their grandparents which did not help me at all.  I will take Chris and Carol's advice and try and order the marriage cert first. 

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 September 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
Don't forget - only order your certificate direct from GRO = £9.25 including postage.  Other sites may charge you more.  You will have to register with GRO, but it is free.

Please let us know the outcome.

Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 September 17 16:28 BST (UK) »
Using an older child's details from 1911 - mother's maiden name is Launchbury

James Blackford and Jane Launchbury married March quarter 1881 - Foleshill District

Jane Blackford died June quarter 1896 - Foleshill District - aged 37
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY