Author Topic: McCero/McKee/Markey  (Read 2545 times)

Offline LisaBart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCero/McKee/Markey
« on: Monday 18 September 17 04:32 BST (UK) »
I've just found a record(in Tasmania) for my Great Grandmother Ann Dudfield  - who in 1867, aged 57 was charged with "attempting self destruction" oh how sad - This is what I know of Ann of her records -On this she had Athlone listed as native place - this is a first for me seeing this name place, as her convict papers say Newry.
Ann McCero was born approx 1810-12 father James, sisters Catherine, Mary & Ann (???)native place is Newry on her ship records.
Married 1838 to Henry Orwell at  Moira.
1 Criminal offence 1840 as Ann Orwell (breach of trust) alias Ann McKee, 2nd criminal offence 1842 shoplifting with several others and sentence was transportation to Van Diemans Land :(
She says on her convict papers husband Henry had been "gone" 4 years - so she was listed as a widow, but I found Henry alive until 1854 where he died in India as an Army Sargent - he remarried Ann Forsythe in Leeds UK and had a daughter Charlotte, it appears Ann Forsyth was from Henry's home village and she returned there with Charlotte after he died.
Any help with Ann McCero and family would be welcome - her mother may be Mary Magough ?????? Not confirmed - I have had DNA testing and have also had my mothers DNA done so my Mum (age 88) is Ann's Grand daughter and probably the best match of anyone to find Ann's family's descendants.
Thank- you so much for any help offered.
Lisa Bartlett (Marshall)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McCero/McKee/Markey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 September 17 07:46 BST (UK) »
Newry Church records start too late.... http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0455
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline LisaBart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 September 17 01:08 BST (UK) »
Yes they do  :( and I don't know if I should look for Markey or McKee or McCero ....
I  did find a death for a James McCarry 1842 at Ballybott Newry but there is nothing really on death records,
And I found the death of a Mary McAree in 1849 at Chapel Street Newry - wondered if this could be Ann's sister..both have died after Ann was transported.
But now finding the native place as Athlone as native place has thrown me, when first records said Newry.

Offline Margie10

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann's son Ambrose was my great grandfather. I've seen records stating her birthplace as Amargh. Frustrating to say the least! Would be very interested in what you find. Good luck Margie Gibbons nee Dudfield