Author Topic: shipwright/carpenter - which company in Lincoln?  (Read 3992 times)

Offline Kiwi Carol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: shipwright/carpenter - which company in Lincoln?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 01:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you all very much for your replies which are all interesting and some more helpful than others since some of the info I know already. It's not easy to limit the info given; Grandad Arthur James Denney was born in Brightlingsea, registered in Ardleigh and in 1901 was on the census as an apprentice shipwright, living with his older brother Warner/Worner also a shipwright, and family, in Poplar.
I've realised yes he was a machine erector at a woodworks, not GER; however I shall follow up the reference to one company given.
Coming from NZ is tricky since names of places don't mean much even though google is very useful!
So 1. what were the other main companies in Lincoln which might have employed a person such as grandad and that would be linked to his training and expertise as a shipwright? Where can I find this info apart from google?
2. Is there any way to find out how long the family might have lived in Lincoln before going to Rosyth?
3. How can I find out how long they were in Rosyth? I had great trouble trying to find Electoral rolls on Ancestry at the library.
Thank you for your help and interest.
Kiwi Carol

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 08:07 BST (UK) »
Electoral Rolls (also known as Burgess Rolls) are not stores nationally, but locally - usually at Record Offices, but sometimes at local libraries.

Only a few of them are available online - such as those for London, Midlands, West Yorkshire, Dorset and so on.
Please bear in mind that only men entitled to vote will appear on Electoral Rolls.

For major companies in Lincoln, have you tried looking at Trade Directories (such as Kelly's)?
There are many available at the University of Leicester's Special Collections:
http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/cdm/landingpage/collection/p16445coll4

EDIT:
Lincolnshire Electoral Rolls are probably available at:
www.lincstothepast.com

Scotland resources are different to England & Wales ::) Try this:
https://www.nls.uk/family-history/voters-rolls
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 10:16 BST (UK) »
Rustons was always the largest engineering company in Lincoln. Over the years it was Ruston Bucyrus and is presently Siemens.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 10:27 BST (UK) »
In 1901 he is a 17 year old apprentice shipwright living in poplar with his elder brother, a shipwright, his elder brother is 33, quite a bit older,
Poplar is in the heart of London docklands, much of a shipwrights work there could have been repairs to cargo ships in the many dry docks in the area.

Many cargo ships then were still of wooden construction, the famous Cutty Sark, still at work, being an example, his elder brothers apprenticeship would have mainly been with wooden ships.

By the time he was out of his apprenticeship at the age of 21 the rapid rise in constuction of steel ships may have meant that his experience with wooden ships was no longer needed, and there was little work available for him, hence the move to Lincolnshire as a woodworker.

It is hard to find any connection between agricultural lincoln and shipbuilding.

Mike

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 10:37 BST (UK) »
The closest ports to Lincoln would be Grimsby and Hull which is unlikely for him to have commuted to work.
I agree with Mike it was most likely a change of career.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 12:36 BST (UK) »
Lincoln was served by barges from the Trent/Humber bringing grain/seeds until the early 1970s.

There were a couple of boat builders in the city in the 1913 directory.

Arthur J DENNEY of 38 Tealby St appears in that directory as a Joiner.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Kiwi Carol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 September 17 04:31 BST (UK) »
Now THAT is VERY interesting Geoff. How did you find that out please? Grandad lived at 34 Kirkby St according to the 1911 census. i presume he had a bike to get to work unless he walked.
Thank you for your input
Kiwi Carol

Offline Kiwi Carol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 September 17 07:23 BST (UK) »
Geoff, I've downloaded the Kelly's Directory 1913 and I'm dashed if I can find Arthur Denney in Kirkby or Tealby streets let alone boat builders. Couldn't find him under commercial or residents. Help please.
Kiwi Carol

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 September 17 08:30 BST (UK) »
Ah! :)

I have Ruddock's 1913 directory, a directory for the City of Lincoln, not for all the county.    Ruddocks, a Lincoln company that closed earlier this year after 140+ years. http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2017/03/ruddocks-lincoln-close-140-years/

The directory can be downloaded from here -
http://cdm16445.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p16445coll4/id/167130/rec/14

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.