Author Topic: Please help with James Pearson, Master Mariner, South Shields  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please help with James Pearson, Master Mariner, South Shields
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 08:05 BST (UK) »
I've had a quick firkle round, try this within the BT 124 series that seaweed posted the link to:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C408323#imageViewerLink

Click on "Show images"
at the bottom is a little box that says Image (1) of 526  change the 1 to 252
the second entry is for a James Pearson, born South Shields 1822 who was certified as a Master on 31 Dec 1850. That is the left hand page of the book, the right side seems to be image 254 and that has nothing else recorded for him. You can zoom in, make the image full screen and it does have a print icon on the viewer, though that would not work on my machine (I have a mac and maybe its not compatible with the option) . Its possible to download the file for free, but you get the whole file and its about 300Mb, so you'd have time for a cuppa while it downloads unless you have a really good connection.

If you have access to FindMyPast, they have a record of his register ticket (181675) in their Merchant Seamen records. Ancestry, when you can get to the library, have his Masters Cert and Certificate of Service (25178 and 45298) They show the ships he worked on.  The good news is that the Cert gives his address as Green Terrace, South Shields so it sounds likely to be your man.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 08:52 BST (UK) »

I have what I hope is "my" James in the 1861 census in Military Road, South Shields. His wife and two daughters are living at Green's Terrace, South Shields at this time.

Census Ref RG09/piece 3785/folio 17/page 28

I've looked at the image and they are all in the same household. James is the Head and Elizabeth is wife (to the head of household) 1 Green Terrace. I think the address was written on the wrong line and there is a line (presumably drawn by the enumerator when he realised the error, from the column which has a 1 (inhabited house) to the column with James' name .

Boo

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 09:18 BST (UK) »
Nice one Tickettyboo! Good to know my advice has turned up trumps!
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 09:53 BST (UK) »
I've had a quick firkle round,

Nice one Tickettyboo!

As those of us who inhabit the Northumberland and Durham Boards know, Boo is an excellent firkler  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Coverdale1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much everyone for all your help, you have been amazing! Tickettyboo, thank you very much for finding James, and for making sense of the census for me (I had only seen the census on family search and hadn't seen the original image). I am very excited for my next library visit now. Hopefully I can use all your advice to find out more about my other master mariner relatives. John Brown Crowell is next on my list, and thanks to everyone's help and the links seaweed posted I have found him on the Lloyd's Captain's Register which is a start.