Author Topic: Clara Frances LANGFORD born abt 1828 Middlesex or London  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Mark Smith Australia

• RootsChat Extra
  • I come from the land down-under.
    • View Profile
Re: Clara Frances LANGFORD born abt 1828 Middlesex or London
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe,
I have the death certificate and unfortunately it does not have a lot of detail as the informant was someone who attended the inquest into his death.   It states that he was in Victoria for 19 years (from about 1852 then) and married in Melbourne when he was 56 years of age (about 1856 going from his age at death of 71 years).   This is different to the marriage place stated as Tasmania on his wife's death certificate - you provided some comment on this when I posted it in the Hand Writing thread about a week ago.   Nothing about any time in Tasmania.
According to Tasmania's 'Immigrants admitted to Immigration Quarters' Joseph and Mary Seall arrived Hobart on 4 Jul 1853 on "Eucalyptus".   There is also a corresponding entry in the VIC outward passengers.   Also, in the VIC Coastal Passengers Lists there are two passengers named Seal who shipped from Hobart to Melbourne in 1855.  Can't access that record as I don't have full access in Findmypast.
The birth place on the death certificate is Chelsea.   This corresponds with the convict James Seall. Possibly he didn't want to let on about his former life once he was established in Melbourne.
Will keep plugging away.
Cheers,
Mark

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 10:35 BST (UK) »
I see that Joseph Seall was granted permission to marry a Sarah Jordan in 1844

https://goo.gl/bH3rSP
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mark Smith Australia

• RootsChat Extra
  • I come from the land down-under.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 13:22 BST (UK) »
I have seen that document, but haven't located any further records about the marriage, possible children or what may have become of Sarah Jordan.   Although in her convict record, for some "misdemeanours", there appears to be something like 'as Seal' or 'Mrs Seal'.
I presume that once permission to marry was granted it would be recorded in the registers, but back then not all events were officially recorded.   I will try and see if there are church records available.   There is no mention of a marriage to Sarah on Joseph seal's death certificate, but that is not surprising!
Cheers,
Mark