Author Topic: ADAM in Woburn  (Read 1256 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
ADAM in Woburn
« on: Monday 18 September 17 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, does anyone have access to the Woburn PRs and could possibly check please to see if there are any other children to a William and Mary Adam in there in the late 1700s?

Familysearch list a John Adam baptised to William and Mary on 8 May 1791.  On the 1851 Census he's married up in Pontefract and in 1861 in Tanshelf, where he dies in 1865 leaving a probate, whom the executor his a relative of his wife (whom he married in April 1837 in Pontefract).

John was listed as a Greenwich pensioner on the 1861 Census.

I'm wondering whether the family stayed in Woburn or moved elsewhere.  The surname could unfortunately of course also appear as Adams.

Thanks

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ADAM in Woburn
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 September 17 14:35 BST (UK) »
Follow the link... you now have access to Woburn PRs up to 1812 --- good hunting

https://archive.org/stream/bedfordshirepari03bedf#page/n7/mode/2up
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: ADAM in Woburn
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 September 17 15:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks John.  William Adam of Woburn was apparently the Master of the Free School at the time of his burial in 1798.  His wife Mary was buried there in 1802.  John Adam was baptised in 1790 and a daughter Martha was buried there in 1796, but I can't see a baptism for her.

Interestingly, I've also come across a reference to a William Adam "possibly teaching" at a Free School in Kingsthorpe, Northamptonshire, in 1776 when he published a book.  I'm trying to trace what happened to a William and Mary Adam who had four children baptised in Kingsthorpe (and one buried) between 1784 and 1789 and then they disappeared.  Sadly there is no profession on any of te baptisms in Kingsthorpe, but William Adam could write his name on his marriage.  Its possible William Adam's father may have also been a William and perhaps that's him in 1776.

John Adam was residing in Pontefract in 1851 a few doors away from a Susanna Crofts, widow, born Kingsthorpe c1789.  She was possibly in Pattishall in 1841 as a servant and definitely in Northampton in 1861.  I can't find a marriage of a Susanna Adam to a Crofts, or for that matter any obvious Susanna to a Crofts, in Northamptonshire, and the fact there are four Susanna's baptised in Kingsthorpe between 1787 and 1789 doesn't help as I can only trace one of them forward.  I'm starting to wonder if perhaps that is the same family but who knows.  Further research required.

Edit - Interestingly there is a Susannah Adams marrying an Edward Crofts 10 April 1840 at Pontefracts St Giles & St Mary.  She's single, he's a widower with no profession, both resident in Pontefract.  Her father is listed as William Adam, schoolmaster, and a John Adam was one of the witnesses.  John Adam's signature isn't dissimilar to the one on the April 1837 marriage, albeit the "d" hasn't got a big tail on it like in 1837.  Hhm, definitely looking more likely that the Kingsthorpe family went to Woburn.  Can't find an obvious death or burial for Edward Crofts and Susannah appears to be in Pattishall in 1841 on her own.  The executor of her estate in 1864 was a resident of there so seems likely it was her even though she was up in Pontefract in 1851.

May have to get a copy of both Susannah's and John's Wills to see if anyone gets mentioned.  Unfortunately both only left £100 and John was married, so less likely that will be many beneficiaries that may help but you never know.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day