Author Topic: Cemetery outside Porthmadog  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cemetery outside Porthmadog
« on: Monday 18 September 17 16:09 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the burial place of my Nain and Taid who lived on Snowdon Street in the 1950's and 60's. They were Richard Morgan Jones (died 1957) and Jennie Jones (died 1962). Also buried with them was my aunt Gwyneth Sowden (died 1967).
I only visited the grave once some 50 years ago when I was a teenager. My vague recollection was that the cemetery was somewhere on the Criccieth side of Porthmadog, was not connected to any church or chapel, was surrounded by a stone wall but they were buried in an extension which was accessed down some steps through the far wall. Their grave was against the wall some 3 or 4 plots down on the left after accessing the extension.
I am pretty sure it was not the cemetery on the way to Cwmystradllyn or Moel y Gest.
Any help from anyone with local knowledge would be much appreciated.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery outside Porthmadog
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 September 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
A member of Rootschat called EmyrBorth is from that area and has some copies of Monumental Inscriptions from various cemeteries in the area you are looking. Why don't you send him a PM, I'm sure he won't mind helping.  ;)

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 September 17 18:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ellenmai, good advice. Emyr has helped me in the past and if anyone will know it will be him.

Glyn
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 00:51 BST (UK) »
Porthmadog cemeteries were discussed here in 2014:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=674365.0

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have checked the booklets I have, but no luck. Is it possible that there is no gravestone ? I can't think which cemetery fits your description. Called in at the monumental mason's yard at Porthmadog this morning, but nobody there. There might be an obituary in the local paper which says where they were buried. Copies at Archives Office, Caernarfon, open Wednesday to Friday. Moved from Caernarfon area back to Porthmadog area 4 years ago and now rarely visit Caernarfon.
Emyr

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Emyr

Thank you for checking. As I say my memory of the visit 50 years is vague. There definitely was a gravestone which Richard Williams stone masons would have made since Taid's brother-law "WO" Jones owned the company although at the time my father's cousin Wynn Jones would have been in charge.
I am fairly sure the cemetery was ND since my grandparents were CM, Nain playing the organ at the local chapel. Pinot directed me to an old post concerning the same the same subject and I will telephone Gwynedd cemeteries to see if they can help.

Many thanks  to Emyr and Pinot

Glyn
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
Found the grave. It's in Bethel Cemetery, Golan, not far from the turning to Cwmystradllyn. I don't know, haven't checked, whether there is a Monument Inscription booklet for that cemetery. The writing is difficult to read and the stone is covered with grass from strimming . The inscription for Gwyneth is not on the headstone, it's on a slate slab laid at the base of it, that's clear but grass has grown over part of it, and that is also covered with cut grass. Started raining just after I got to the cemetery so didn't try to record the inscription.
I'm told that the late Wynn Jones has a son living in Porthmadog.
Sending you a PM.
Emyr

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 September 17 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
Jogged/walked up to Bethel late morning and jogged down. Saw that the stones had been cleaned so I assume that directions I gave you in the PM were adequate. It was raining when I was there yesterday and I was wearing spectacles and I got it wrong that the slab with Gwyneth's details on was slate.
Forgot to mention that Wynn Jones was also buried at Bethel.
Emyr

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 September 17 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Emyr
If you still live where you previously told me I am extremely impressed that you are so fit to jog that distance and back. Yes we got there early this morning the only other creature there was a hare that we disturbed (made Barbara's day). Your directions were spot on. You are correct Wyn and Mai are buried at Bethel in fact in the adjacent grave. The other side of them is William Owen "W.O." Jones and his wife Elizabeth,my Taid's sister. I am guessing that Bethel Cemetery opened in the 1950's and since Wyn and WO were in the business the family bought a group of plots together.
We went onto Llanaelhairn and the rain started again. Thanks for the offer but I have the MI records for this church yard since I have a few family members buried there. Keith Parry's YFfor website has been invaluable for researching my ancestors who lived in the Llyn.
While I was in I took a couple of photos for a distant cousin who contacted me on Ancestry.

Diolch fawr

Glyn
Robb - London/Scotland