Author Topic: Location 1933 England  (Read 4313 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Location 1933 England
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 10:08 BST (UK) »
I wondered if they could be on a ship? Do I detect a ring on the middle finger of the youngest lady...or is it just damage? I think a high res scan of the flag might yield a clue.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 11:06 BST (UK) »
I don't think they are on a ship as it doesn't look like decking. Judging by the fact there are houses behind the domes, a road must run along there.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
Partly picking up on Rattus' impression,a wild guess from  the "atmosphere" is Gibraltar!I agree a high res scan of the flag would be invaluable.

Regards
Roger

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 16:53 BST (UK) »
I found another photo that I think is the same two ladies...checked shoes and hats and I believe is from the same batch of photos. Also the house in this photo looks like a closer version of the one in the background of the other picture. It also looks to be along a seashore.
One other place that my mother traveled to on that trip was a to a wedding in Staffordshire
( Penkrose I think ) but I can't see any seaside up there. Again I have to say, I've never been so I'm totally unfamiliar with distances an times between places. I know often something can be what we consider close in Canada ( under 100 miles ) whereas in UK, I can recall a week of planning over a trip from Surrey to Brighton.
Anyway, I'm attaching the second photo I found.
PS I rescanned the flag but no help...just a blur. Not sure its a Union Jack
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 17:19 BST (UK) »
I know often something can be what we consider close in Canada ( under 100 miles ) whereas in UK, I can recall a week of planning over a trip from Surrey to Brighton.

North Surrey (Heathrow) to Brighton is around 65 miles so not far.  Not sure why it would take a week to plan  ;D 

I understand that no place in England is more than around 70 miles from the sea.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 17:37 BST (UK) »
I know often something can be what we consider close in Canada ( under 100 miles ) whereas in UK, I can recall a week of planning over a trip from Surrey to Brighton.

North Surrey (Heathrow) to Brighton is around 65 miles so not far.  Not sure why it would take a week to plan  ;D 

I understand that no place in England is more than around 70 miles from the sea.

That was back in the 70's. My friend lived in Chessington and didn't have or want a car ( he borrowed one from the in-laws ) or even a phone. He used to say "my dad didn't have one and he got along fine" Planning the trip to Brighton also took into consideration the many "stops for a pint" that had to be figured in, and he was very fussy about what brand of beer they served! :)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 17:47 BST (UK) »
Can you please attach the highest resolution scan you have of the flag,even if it appears to be a"blur",just in case anything can be made of it.

Regards
Roger

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
Started to wonder whether the original picture is set on a rooftop. Then wondered whether it might be the roof of a theatre. Then, not sure why, the word 'aquarium' sprang to mind.

Check out pictures of the Bournemouth Oceanarium building. It's not that, but imagine if they were standing on the roof of a similar building. That building is relatively new; if it replaces a similar, older building, I haven't been able to find it. (And anyway, Jebber is sure this isn't Bournemouth.)

I agree that the two ladies in the second picture are the same people as those in the first. I also agree that the flag isn't a Union Jack. I spotted the 'carved motif' thing that Roger mentioned, but to me it looks like the remains of a removed advert/poster.

Oh yeah, towards the right of the picture check out the thing that looks like a capped stench pipe in front of the dome (behind the bench). Further evidence for the rooftop theory?
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 18:01 BST (UK) »
Can you please attach the highest resolution scan you have of the flag,even if it appears to be a"blur",just in case anything can be made of it.

Regards
Roger
I scanned just the flag alone at 1200.